Help Please - Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as you add enough dechlorinator before you add the water back in, I think your method is just fine

You should turn over (filter) your water at a least ten times per hour. So for your 80 try to filter 800 gph. That's how others came up with the 800 gph.

I have a 90 tank with a 30 gal sump and filter 950 gph. My weekly pwc is about 30% or so.

smomus said:
It will get there :)
How old are your kids? Maybe you can enlist their help!

Hehe my daughter is 4 and holds the hose. My son Is 1 and laughs at the fish swim around. They do help I guess, in their own way :)

So I am researching on line and the Aqueon 55/75 has a gph of 400 - so if I got two I would be at 800 which is just over 10 cycles per hour. Does anyone know of this brand though. What are your reviews?

Fishfriends said:
So I am researching on line and the Aqueon 55/75 has a gph of 400 - so if I got two I would be at 800 which is just over 10 cycles per hour. Does anyone know of this brand though. What are your reviews?

Two would be sufficient IMO. Keep up with the big eater changes until things are under control.

Aqueon is a big company and I have some of their products but not any filters. I'm sure they are just as good but I don't like to assume :)

Aquaclear also makes great filters.

I'm not sure how many gph the aquaclear 110 are but i would choose them over an aqueon filter. What kind of dechlorinator do you use? Everyone on this site will recommend prime, and for good reason. It's the best on the market.

I am not familiar with the Aqueon but most people will recommend the Marineland Emperor 400 (400gph has 2 biowheels) or the AquaClear 110 (500) Hang On Back (HOB) filters. The AquaClear are quieter.

I have a 55 gallon with 1 Emperor 400 (400gph), 1 AquaClear 70 (300 gph), a reverse flow Under Gravel Filter w/ 2 AquaClear 50 Powerheads (270 gph), and 1 ATI Foam Filter w/ 1 AquaClear 30 Powerhead (175 gph). That is a total of 1415 gph.

Filtration mechanically removes debris/waste and also provides surface area for colonization of beneficial bacteria that converts fish waste and decay (ammonia) into Nitrites and then into Nitrates. The better the filtration system the larger the bioload your tank can handle. I have 5 Acei, 5 Electric Yellow, 3 Red Zebra, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco and I do a 50 to 60% PWC per week to keep the nitrates below 50 ppm.

Hope this helps.

-rotorhead22

Cichlid Kid said:
I'm not sure how many gph the aquaclear 110 are but i would choose them over an aqueon filter. What kind of dechlorinator do you use? Everyone on this site will recommend prime, and for good reason. It's the best on the market.

Yes I use prime :)

Malawi Freak said:
I hardly ever do a pwc under 50% in my 125. Usually around 60% every week.

What do u have stocked? I'm thinking about upping my weekly 30% because my nitrates are steady at about 40ppm by the end of the week and I want them lower. I have 2 Oscars in the tank I'm talking about. 50%+ would probably be better for them I'm thinking.

*I just realized I didn't update my page before I commented. Sorry for being a little off subject there.

I can't give you exact numbers but it's a mix of several ps. Elongatus species, with maingano, red zebras, Kenyi and a bunch of bottom feeders. I currently have somewhere around 70 in that tank.

I also have 16 chailosi in a 45 long, 6 saulosi in a 45 long, and 9 peacocks growing out in a 40B.

Jeeze that pleco is big. You are probably going to have a hard time rehoming it since a lot of lfs have hard times selling that nor have a tank to accommodate.

I would recommend Craigslist for that especially to get your money's worth.

Ya it will definitely be a private sale. I would have to surrender to a lfs and I really don't want to do that. Like you said, hard to rehome and I think the biggest tank I have seen there is a 55b

Back
Top Bottom