Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I've recently purchased a Ciano Aqua light 30 aquarium with a Rena superclean 40 filter and Interpet AVmini air pump with air stone.
My first ever aquarium.

I had the tank and filter running for 3 days before I placed any fish into it.

I have 3 fish living in it, a Small shubunkin, small yellow & a small comet.

The shubunkin & yellow goldfish are fine, swimming about & eating as if theres no problems.
The comet however was fine to begin with but last night I noticed that it was swimming at the top of the tank all the time with it's mouth kinda poking out, it's been like that all day today too.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong with it? like I say, the other 2 seem to be fine although I've noticed that the shubunkin (slightly larger than the yellow & comet) seems to bully the other 2 a bit.

Hey, I've recently purchased a Ciano Aqua light 30 aquarium with a Rena superclean 40 filter and Interpet AVmini air pump with air stone.
My first ever aquarium.

I had the tank and filter running for 3 days before I placed any fish into it.

I have 3 fish living in it, a Small shubunkin, small yellow & a small comet.

The shubunkin & yellow goldfish are fine, swimming about & eating as if theres no problems.
The comet however was fine to begin with but last night I noticed that it was swimming at the top of the tank all the time with it's mouth kinda poking out, it's been like that all day today too.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong with it? like I say, the other 2 seem to be fine although I've noticed that the shubunkin (slightly larger than the yellow & comet) seems to bully the other 2 a bit.

Have you tested your water? Godlies are very heavy waste producers & you are in the process of cycling your tank which means you need to test your water daily & will be doing lots of water changes. Please read the following & then ask further questions:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Is this tank 30 litres or 30 gallons?

Welcome to AA!!!! Please read the link posted by Shellica. You need to invest in a proper liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit and a good bottle of water conditioner such as Prime. Your fish are displaying signs of ammonia poisoning- time for water changes which need to be done daily or even multiple times a day depending on your parameters.

The second issue here is depending on if your tank is litres or gallons, you either have a problem or a very big problem with your stocking situation. If your already seeing aggression, I am suspecting the tank may be litres. Please let us know and we can further advise! :)

Hey, Yea I've ordered some dechlorinator/conditioner, Just waiting for it to arrive along with my gravel vac/syphon So i can begin water changes.

Yes 30 litres, The "bullying" is more playful I think as it's not all the time, just every once in awhile. By bullying I mean pushing the other fish aside but they all give as good as they get.

It's only the one fish that sits at the top, the other 2 are fine at the bottom.

Ok, heres the bad news. 30l is only @7g. This is too small for any goldfish, particularly pond fish. Comets and shubunkins are realistically pond fish and require huge amounts of water (as in 50+g per fish) and are really not suited to home aquaria as they have the potential to grow 12+inches. I honestly would return them or rehome them to a happy pond and stock your tank with fish suitable for a 7g.

Pets@home sold me the aquarium & fish, They told me 3 would be ok for that aquarium But certainly no more than the 3.

Always do your own research prior to purchasing any fish!!! Unfortunately, they gave you AWFUL advice and I honestly dont have an explanation for why they sold you a tiny tank with pond fish that grow over a foot long.

Many LFS will take fish even if you didn't buy them there. After there gone read about cycling your tank first and then you could get some tetras or guppies with your size tank.

Back
Top Bottom