HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frshwaterfinatc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I posted about the hot conditions here in OKlahoma, and how my tank temp went skyrocketing up to 84 degrees. My fish were all losing their color, and staying low in the tank. Today I closed the blinds differently so no sun shines in and turned the lights off so the heat wouldn't be a problem. Right now it's doing pretty well. The heat index here is 108 degrees and my apt is very warm, but the water's about 77 degrees. But now my fish, who were fine this morning at the same temperature, are sitting low in the tank and looking very washed out/pale. I have a money problem right now, and I don't have enough $ to go buy a kit to test the parameters. I have no idea what's going on. I thought maybe cycle might help if it's ammonia, so I put that in about an hour ago. They still look stressed. Does anyone know what their behavour means? Any suggestions/donations?? :puppydogeyes:

frshwaterfinatc, if your fish are being subjected to high ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, the best thing for a quick fix will be a water change. Adding in new water will decrease the concentrations of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in the water, hopefully making things a little easier on your fish while you figure out if there's a bigger problem. Just be sure to watch the temperature (and of course at dechlorinator :D)...if your fish are already stressed out, they'll be even unhappier with a big temp swing.

Your fish are obviously stressed, but it may or may not be related to the heat. Keep that in mind so you don't disregard other possible causes of the problem.

First, I would check the water parameters and rule out that as the cause. Bring a water sample to your lfs - most will test pH, ammonia, and nitrite for free.

Meanwhile, if you suspect ammonia or nitrite poisoning, do a 30 - 40% water change. Just be sure to add dechlor and not to drastically change the water temp. Fish can tolerate quite high temps (92oF IME), but they will succumb quickly to rapid temperature swings.

This came up in one of your other threads - do you have enough surface agitation? Maybe you need to add an airstone or adjust your filter return so that it generates more splashing action.

Ok they are probably stressed from the quick change in temperature, since you posted last time that you added ice to lower the water temperature... 8O

1. Here are a few things that would help your fish...

1. Do a partial water change - make sure the water going in is the same temp as the water out.
That will lower your nitrAtes, nitrItes and Amonia, IF that is what is causing the problems, and it should add some new oxygen to the water.

2. As soon as you have some $$, get a air stone/pump for your tank.
Sounds like your fish is lacking oxygen in the water.

I know you can't get out due to the construction on your street. If you have a fan, aim it on the water to create more surface agitation. Also due 10-20% daily water changes until you can get your water checked out.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still unsure- here's more info...

I just don't understand what could be happening. Last week I went to the lfs and had the water tested. They said my ammonia was very high, so I did a 25% water change, and after that I noticed the fish acting strange. (The water test wasn't because anything strange was going on. At that point the fish were acting fine, I just wanted to know the parameters to make sure all was well.) When I did the water change, I made sure the water was the same temperature and dechlorinated. I had been feeding my fish once in the morning and once at night (just enough for every fish to get about 3 flakes). Since then I've dropped that down to once a day to reduce waste. And a friend bought a cory for me.

My angels are in the bottom of the tank, swimming at a 70 degree angle. The only fish that seem unaffected are the molly's fry, and my puffer.

Bioworldmaker said:
1. Do a partial water change - make sure the water going in is the same temp as the water out.
That will lower your nitrAtes, nitrItes and Amonia, IF that is what is causing the problems, and it should add some new oxygen to the water.

Agreed....try a few 30% water changes, one a couple of hours after the first, then another four hours after the first.....and make sure your filter is working well and is not full of detritus.

frshwaterfinatc said:
They said my ammonia was very high, so I did a 25% water change, and after that I noticed the fish acting strange

Uhm... maybe you didn't add dechorinator enough?

OR

There was a thread sometime back then, about fish that get used to "harsh conditions" , all of a sudden get "good conditions" and get worse... But I don't think that would be the case now.

Also, as has been stated before (I think)....your 10g tank is waaaay overstocked - if your tank profile is accurate. This will cause stress in the fish as well.... HTH....

I agree with Bioworldmaker, if the fish were used to crumby conditions, then the problem may be due to good water conditions, but that doesn't explain why some fish are affected and others are not.

your 10g tank is waaaay overstocked
The fish are all quite small, especially two of the mollies. (They're fry) one angelfish and all the mollies are going to be taken out and given to the lfs or one of my friends, but I can't do anything with them right now.

Uhm... maybe you didn't add dechorinator enough?
Nope, did all enough of that for sure! I've lost fish that way before and so I've learned that heard way... :(

try a few 30% water changes, one a couple of hours after the first, then another four hours after the first.....and make sure your filter is working well and is not full of detritus.
I got on here last night and typed this whole huge post about what has happened with the tank in the past few days, and then the power went out and of course the computer crashed! But anyway, the other day I went to the lfs that will test water that is incidentally located halfway across the globe from my house) and had some water tested again (3 days ago). They said my ammonia was waaaay high again. So I did a 50% water change, thinking ehy, if this happened last week mybe that is why my fish are acting strange. But this is when it all started happening just like last time. Maybe sudden good improvements shock fish- anyone have that experience?
So then the whole thing with the tempertaure rising to 84 when it's normally 77-78 (I realize most of you keep your aquariums in the low 80s and it's not high, but my fish aren't used to that) really just hightened my concern.
I did what a couple fo you suggested and added an airstone from one of my existing tanks... it seemed to help for a little while, but...
The issue now seems to be the light. I have two 15w white, incadescent bulbs. They've been on the tank for the entirety of it's use. But now my fish seem to have a problem with it. When the light's off they all swim in their normal levels (barbs high, angels mid, puffer low) but when the light is ON they all stay on the bottom and turn pale.
I tried something last night. I took one of the bulbs out and put the hood on. The fish all congregated in the dark side and seemed fine. But with both lights on they stay on the bottom. What could be causing their sudden fear of light? This is the same lighting they've all had from the moment they went into the tank. 8O

make sure your filter is working well and is not full of detritus.

Oh, and I put this quote in to say that I need to check that but didn't mention it in my previous post. The filter cartridge is new, so it shouldn't be too filled with detrius. But I'll take it out and rinse it just to make sure- thanks for the tip!

frshwaterfinatc said:
So I did a 50% water change, thinking ehy, if this happened last week maybe that is why my fish are acting strange. But this is when it all started happening just like last time. Maybe sudden good improvements shock fish- anyone have that experience?

That is possible...
I am assuming your tank is fairly new? :?:

That usually is true when the tank is quite old, and has suffered of the "old tank syndrom", that is when the owner forgets about the tank itself... 8O but again, I don't think that is the case.

The issue now seems to be the light. I have two 15w white, incadescent bulbs. They've been on the tank for the entirety of it's use. But now my fish seem to have a problem with it. When the light's off they all swim in their normal levels (barbs high, angels mid, puffer low) but when the light is ON they all stay on the bottom and turn pale.

Sounds like your fish need hideouts in the tank, either plants or caves or something... Or maybe it is just a natural reaction to conserve energy, as they need to be able to recover from whatever caused stress. I would give them some time to get used to it again .

What could be causing their sudden fear of light? This is the same lighting they've all had from the moment they went into the tank. 8O
:?:

Maybe they associated light with change in conditions. That's my guess..

Back
Top Bottom