Help.... Problems!!!! ---- goldfish sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ihaveaquestion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Okay so I posted my problem on another fish forum site but they are taking long to answer to here it is...

I am posting my first post and their replies, but still have more questions (see below)

THIS IS ME:

Hello,

I have a freshwater tank (10 gallons) with two fish, both goldfish. They each have separate problems... HELP!

My one fish, named "Brainiac", has developed a coating of milky-white clowdyness over both of his eyes. Now, it is not actually ON the eyes, but it is a separate layer that has formed on top. It is almost as if he has cones put over his eyes and they are clowdy and probably blocking his vision!! It developed a couple days ago and is getting worse.. how do I fix it?

My second fish, named "Retard", isn't swimming too well. His name used to be "Sunny D" but we re-named him because every night after he was fed, he would swim funny, upside-down, and wobbly (hence the new name). He would often float upside down at the top of the water for a couple hours then he would suddenly be back to normal and would swim as any normal fish would. This has been going on for about 1 year. At first I thought it was dropsy, but he kept going back to normal and I just thought it was because he would eat too much or his stomache/digestion system was not properly developed. But, as of the last week or so, he just spends most of the day hanging out at the bottom of the tank resting his tummy on the rocks. He only swims up when he tries really really hard to go to the top when there is food. But I have noticed that sometimes he gets lucky when the food floats to the bottom and he just eats it from where he is resting. I have been trying to observe him and it looks like it is hard for his little fins to actually lift his body in order to swim. It's almost as if his body has become too heavy for his strength to operate. He has not gotten any larger, doesn't look different, and besides him just staying at the bottom the whole time, nothing else is wrong (i.e. he doesn't look like he's dying).

But I feel bad for the poor fellow... any suggestions as to what this is, what I can do??? For both fish???

THIS WAS A REPLY:

Ok, first off a 10 gallon tank is too small for 2 goldfish.
1. How big are the fish?
2. How long have you had them?
3. What kind of filter do you have if any?
4. How often do you do water changes?

Goldfish need about 15-20 gallons for the first one and another 10 gallons after that for each other one. They need this because they are especially messy fish and do grow pretty big. They might not grow as big if kept in a smaller tank but then they are stunted in growth which is not healthy and can cause stress and the fish to be weaker in fighting off diseases. So something you should look into is getting a 30-40 gallon tank and not getting any more fish. I know sometimes it looks so empty a tank that size with two fish but it's the correct way to keep them healthy and happy.

With all that said I also have goldfish in a tank and have not enough tank space. They are fairly small for now and I do plan on upgrading to a bigger tank or some of the fish going into an outdoor pond. I have two filters going with and I do regular 20% water changes.

As for "retard" you might want to try peas. Get some cooked peas (probably 4 good size ones should do it) and squish the pea guts into the tank. Do not feed them the pea skins. They should go nuts over the peas and it will help their digestive track and possibly the floating issue. Do this once one day and then once again the next day and then see how it goes from there. If it's not helping then it might not be the problem and stop the peas and figure out what the problem is. I give mine peas about every 2-4 weeks just as a treat and to keep them healthy. I have no clue about the other one but they are going to be more acceptable to diseases when not in enough room.

Good luck.

THIS WAS A REPLY:

As Postshawn said, your tank is really too small for the fish you have. I suggest at least a 20 gallon long or a 29 gallon for 2 goldfish if they're fancy goldfish. If they're comets, commons or shubunkins, you want to go even bigger. You don't say what kind of filtration you have, but with goldfish you should aim for 10X the number of gallons that you have. For example, if you have a 30 gallon tank, you want to have at least 300 gallons per hour filtration. Goldfish are high waste producers. I keep goldfish and do 50% water changes weekly, and sometimes more frequently if the nitrates are getting too high.

Do you test your water quality, and if so, can you post the parameters?
Ammonia =
nitrite =
nitrate =
pH =

It sounds like Brainiac may have cloudy eye, if his eyes aren't physically popped out. Cloudy eye is often caused by poor water quality. It could also be a bacterial infection. Do you have any antibiotics to treat him with? Do you have a hospital tank where you can isolate him? Here is a link about cloudy eye in goldfish:
http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatm...tml#CloudyEyes

As far as Retard, it sounds like he needs a change in his diet and may have swim bladder disease. What kind of food do you feed it? Some goldfish are sensitive to flakes, dehydrated and pelleted foods containing wheat and grains, and these kinds of foods will trigger buoyancy problems (gassy or constipation). Feeding him shelled, mashed peas is a good place to start to see if that helps him. I actually make my own homemade gel food for my goldfish out of salmon, shrimp, sardines, dark green leafy vegetables, green beans, etc.
Here is a link about buoyancy problems in goldfish:
http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/buoyancy.html

THIS IS ME:

Thank you to both of you for that information. I understand that my tank is a little too small for the two of them, but they both have been happy living in there for over two years now. I have however started to go to the fish stores and look at some bigger tanks, so hopefully I can move them up.

Now I have some follow up questions that may make me sound like a horrible fish mother, but instead of critisism I would really appreciate some help!!!!!

Well, first of all I haven't tested the water in a while. I have to let you know that there is a peice of information I left out yesterday which I probably should have mentioned. I totally re-did my fish tank last week (new rocks, decorations, complete water change, and a new filter). The couple days after that, I noticed my tank was totally clowdy white, and at first thought it was the new polyfiber filter I put in, but when I went back to the fish store they told me it was "new tank syndrome" and that I should not have replaced the whole filter, but do it a bit at a time (i.e. cut the old one in half, put half of a new one in, etc). Basically I totally took away all of their good bacteria they have built up for years (this was the first time I ever replaced the filter, I usually just clean and rinse it). I knew that I had messed up and should have known better, I have set up new tanks in the past and used "cycle" in addition to the water conditioner but forgot to use "cycle" this time.

So, I got a new filter anyways (an ammonia eliminator) and bought some bio-support stuff that has a whole bunch of live bacteria in it (says on the bottle it will help the filter bio system and cure new tank syndrome). So I put some of that in but the white clowdiness of the water still hasn't cleared.

Last night I went out and bought a test kit and talked to the staff about the problems discussed yesterday on this forum. He said that yes peas will help the buyancy problem and he gave me some powder medication to mix in with it (says it helps) and he told me that Braniac's eye problem might be fixed by putting some salt in the water and he also gave me another type medication liquid that helps clowdy eye... so I went home and did all that.

Fisrt, the peas. Neither Brainiac nor Retard (who has the problem) wanted to eat them! I cooked them, squished them out of their shells, mixed a SMALL amount of that medication in... and nothing! I thought they would go crazy for them (as per what I have heard in the past) but only my apple snail was happy to see the peas. This morning when I woke up most of the peas were still there... why isn't Retard cooperating?

Then, I put the salt and other clowdy eye medication in. Still, the water is white.

Then I tested my water. I think I know the problem now but please help me out.

The amonia was about 3.0 (test kit says that is in the harmful zone)
Nitrate was 5 (test kit says this is safe)
Nitrite was 0.5 (test kit says this is caution area)
Total Hardness was 300 (test kit says this is very hard... but I live in a City with hard water)
Total Clorine was 0 (test kit says this is safe)
Total Aklalinity was 180 (test kit says this is ideal)
PH was 8.0 (test kit says this is in the Alkaline area)

Okay so what do I do? I know the ammonia is the main problem, right? What products do I get to fix the amonia and hard water levels????

Also, what should my PH be at? My Alkalinity is ideal, but what about the PH? It does not have "ideal, harmful, danger" on the test kit for the PH but rather Acidic, Neutral, and Alkaline"... where should it be?

PS As of this morning both fish are still suffering their problems I mentioned yesterday.

PPS Also I should mention that Brainiac's eye problem started after the water change but Retard has had his bouyancy problem for like, ever.

Any help would be appreciated... this "aquarium advice" site looks pretty good!

Welcome to AA!

I would agree with the bulk of the advice given to you already. Your tank is really too small for goldfish. Fancy goldfish are recommended at 30g for the first one and probably about 10g for each additional goldfish. The larger varieties either need a huge tank or a pond.

I didn't see if you mentioned what kind of filter you're running, but a tank should really have an oversized filter, especially with goldfish. If you look at my "My Tanks" link, you'll see that I have filters intended for much larger tanks on my aquariums.

Your LFS was correct. You shouldn't replace all the filter media at the same time. If you search around here on AA for the nitrogen cycle, you'll learn that your tank is dependent on bacteria, most of which live in the filter. When you replace your filter media, you lose your bacteria and cause a cycle, which is what you're going through now.

On an established tank, ammonia and nitrite levels should be zero and nitrates should be kept below 30ppm. I don't like mine to get above 20ppm. You're currently going through a cycle. Your bacteria populations are trying to reestablish themselves, but it takes time. In the mean time, you should do 50% partial water changes daily, maybe even twice a day until your ammonia and nitrites are zero. I would also remove the ammonia eliminator. It's just going to slow down your bacteria growth. Don't worry about the pH and the alkalinity. Fish will adjust to the pH and alkalinity as long as they remain constant.

Take care of the cycle first, then see how the fish are doing.

Welcome to AA!!

I agree with the advice you had gotten so far!

The main problem you had was a cycling tank.
When you redid your tank & did not transfer your filter material, the tank had to cycle again & started to retain harmful waste products. <Hence the ammonia of 3.>

For now, you need clean water. Do as much pwc as needed to keep ammonia less than 0.5 & nitrites less than 0.25. <You will prob need to do 50-75% pwc daily until the cycle is reestablished, prob in 4-6 weeks.> Until you take care of the water, the fish will not get better.

As for the 2nd goldfish's buoyancy problems after eating, this is prob due to improper food. Fancy goldfish is prone to gut problems, and often gets constipated & have gas in the gut if you feed flakes or floating food. The gas cause the fish to lose balance. The solution si to feed sinking pellets. Also, regular feeding of veggies (eg peas, cucumbers, etc) will help prevent problems.

Right now, however, you need to take care of the water. Do pwc's now & daily. Keep checking the water & keep the water pristine & the fishies should turn around.

what happened to me was: I got a gold fish from petco, and few days after i got it has been acting really weird, all of the things you mentioned like hanging out at the bottom of the fish tank. I thought that this fish is sick, so I decided to separate it and put it in another fish tank(so my other fish won't get sick also).
Since I was really worried, I searched million pages on the internet trying to find an answer about how to save my goldfhish. One of the good ones was:
change water in your tank basically as often as you can if you think your goldfish is sick.

It seamed to get better, but in few more days it died : /

I got it at petco, lately I noticed how poorly they treat little fishes, what makes me really mad because people seams to fight for animal rights, but they don't even think about fish sellers, when fish has to live in a little plastic container, and it dies by the end of work day at petco : (

If the ammonia gets high like that for a long period of time, it will burn their gills, and they can die. :(

100% good advice from the other forum, Jim and JSoong. :)

Not to push you to _another_ forum, but have a quick read around at thegab.org as another source for more goldfish information.

edit::

Ah, i should have read your first post better, as I now see them pointing you there as well.

Back
Top Bottom