Help sexing blue rams, I think both are female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpatz9697

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I've had these 2 Blue Rams for about a month now. I believe they are both female, when I bought them I thought the one was male because I wasn't showing much color.
They seem to have territory issues in my tank, Their behavior is a little 50/50 either they hate each other or are swimming together.

I read up on how to tell the differences between the sexes and came to the conclusion that they are both female because they have pink bellies, rounded fins and blue speckling on their black dots.
If anyone has any advice or more info it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• BothRam.jpg
    BothRam.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Ram1.jpg
    Ram1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Ram2.jpg
    Ram2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 261
I would agree with you. The pink bellies is the easiest way to tell. Probably both females.

Is the one in the back a blue ram? it looks more golden to me but I guess it could be the lighting.

Top right: female
Bottom: male, maybe

I've heard the only reliable way to sex GBRs is to look at the black dot under the dorsal fin. Females will show some blue irridescence through the black dot. Males don't. The fish I said might be male could have more irridescence that isn't showing in the picture.

I guess BigJim makes a good point, the one in the back could be a male. The fins will hopefully show eventually. And Petsmart may have sold you a male gold ram at that! I have never seen one before but I know they exist. Cool fish!

Thanks for the help, I think the one might be male, it's black dot only has blue spangling just barely on the out side but other wise its solid black on both sides. Guess I just have to wait and see how they mature.

Does anyone happen to know if a male blue ram can have a pink belly?

The black dot is not a good way to determine sex anymore due to constant tank breeding over the years the females now more often then not develop a heavy black spot as well

they both seem like females to me but there is a possibility the one on the bottom is a male.

The females have a more of a rounded tail and the male has a 'V' shape with 'sharp' corners on them
The males have an elongated 2nd ray in the dorsal fin
The males dorsal and anal fins at the back are more pointed then the females
The females have more red on their belly compared to the males
The obvious, the females are thicker/rounder when mature and able to mate

There is also the ovipositor or "egg-tube" on the females, the little white tube thing in their vent area.

They are definitely both female the pink belly and uniform dorsal spines are the giveaway. The reason they look a little more yellow could be age, judging by their size compared to the tetras they look to still be pretty young, they will get more color as they age. a male will never, never have a pink belly.

Back
Top Bottom