Help, should I get sand for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've always wanted sand however the second hand tank I bought comes with gravel. I want to change to find, natural coloured "silica sand". I want to know if my intank box filter is compatible with this. It's lowest intake point is just under 10cm above the surface of the gravel at the moment, and I have quite a thick layer of gravel so if I do replace it with sand, only around 3 cm deep it will be a bit over 10 cm from the lowest intake point.

I also want to know if all my fish will be ok with this sand as some people say sand is bad for them or something? I have clown loaches and a orange tailed black shark as well as balla sharks. I also have guppies and a plaque. I might get rid of some of these fish if they're not compatible, but not all of them.

Will this general arrangement work and is there anything else I need to consider also?

Thank-you.

I do not know about the whole distance thing, but those fish will do great with sand. It's better for most bottom feeders. I hope you have a big tank though because those fish get large. Bala sharks around a foot I believe, red tail sharks to 6inches and very territorial as they get older, and clown loaches to a foot.
And if it's a common pleco, then up to two feet.

WOW! Those pictures are amazing. I didn't know plaques could get so big. And my tank is quite large, I did all the research about the fish before hand and have had them all happily together for a few years now, never got around to getting sand though! As they get much larger I will have to trade them in for younger smaller fish though, but I do understand, no worries there :) Also, how do I know how much to buy? It's always advertised in kg and I never know how many I will need?

chris87 said:
WOW! Those pictures are amazing. I didn't know plaques could get so big. And my tank is quite large, I did all the research about the fish before hand and have had them all happily together for a few years now, never got around to getting sand though! As they get much larger I will have to trade them in for younger smaller fish though, but I do understand, no worries there :) Also, how do I know how much to buy? It's always advertised in kg and I never know how many I will need?

Alright good job. And I think the general rule is 2lBs per gallon (don't know conversion ) which should give you around a 2-inch (don't know conversion) sandbed. Curse the customary measurement system.

Idk if you have homedepot or lowes where you are but I bought 50lbs of pool filter sand for $5!!!
it is a very natural looking sand that is safe to use

Back
Top Bottom