Help! Sick betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, he passed away last night before I could get medication to save him :( I feel really bad that I didn't catch this sooner so I could treat it faster..

We all make mistakes... plus depending on where you got the fish you may have been unintentionally set up for failure, depending on the store many lfs (especially big chains) tend to be full of diseases.

If I were you I would try again, Bettas are wonderful little creatures! Mine even recognizes my voice and will swim into veiw when I call him. My only suggestion is get a bigger tank. I have a 5 gallon with a filter. I have attached a picture of mine (ignore the algea my mystery snail had some medical issues)

You will be amazed at how happy they are in a 5 gallon tank. Also the tank can reach a complete cycle (which makes it so much easier to maintain. 50% every 2 weeks for my tank) A lot of people say it is hard to get a 5 gallon to cycle, but mine has been running smoothy for over 3 years and that is completely cycled.
Good luck on your next little guy!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1407773772104.jpg

The bright blue lump just above my betta is my apple snail. He needed to be painted as he has a birth defect and part of his shell doesn't grow right. So I patch it with nail polish.

Wow he's soo pretty! Unfortunately at the moment a bigger tank is out of the question for me but I will definitely take it into consideration for the future. Thank you for the advice! My betta (dexter) was really happy in my 2.5 gal until the fin rot took over :/

For now I'm thinking of reusing the tank and maybe replacing it with a larger one when I have the chance. Do u have any tips for cleaning out my old tank and decorations to prevent fin rot in the future? Usually when I would clean the tank I would empty the water, rinse the gravel until the water came out clear, rinse decorations and wipe down the side of the tank, and then replace with fresh dechlorinated water. Would that be a good idea to do for a new fish? Or should I do something more extensive?

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta.

For now I'm thinking of reusing the tank and maybe replacing it with a larger one when I have the chance. Do u have any tips for cleaning out my old tank and decorations to prevent fin rot in the future? Usually when I would clean the tank I would empty the water, rinse the gravel until the water came out clear, rinse decorations and wipe down the side of the tank, and then replace with fresh dechlorinated water. Would that be a good idea to do for a new fish? Or should I do something more extensive?
What you normally do for cleaning the tank should be fine. Fin rot is a bacterial infection, so I might boil the gravel and decor. I couldn't tell from the picture, but if you don't already have one, I would get a live plant. My friends betta went from having nothing in the tank except backyard rocks, to this:
View attachment 246364

Now obviously you have more than just backyard rocks, but my friend's betta, Blueberry, seemed to really love the plant.

Also, bettas don't like current, so try to get an extremely low current filter that pumps water towards the side. Otherwise, do a lot of water changes with no filter.

Best wishes,

Laird

Boil everything you can and I actually wash everything by rubbing a salt paste (salt and a little water) and boil it. (Just be carful everything plastic in the tank can and will become deformed if left in the boiling water to long.

sick betta

you could go get an indian almond leaf it has natural antibiotic treatment that is what breeders use with clean water treatments they call it IAL IF ITS A SMALL TANK use half then when its almost desovled add more

Wow I bet! Mine was from a petsmart in SK. He lasted just about 6 months with me. I'm guessing he came with fin rot and I'm just too inexperienced to identify it. Lol looks like we r neighbours!

Looks that way! Yeah petsmart here SUCK for fish stock. Wonderful stock price items... but I will never get fish from there. I'm assuming that they probably get their stock from the same place. Petlands here are much better for fish stock. But I always like finding a lfs that is not a chain and specializes in fish, they tend to be still in business because their stock is very good quality.

I might try to find a store that isn't a chain around here to get my fish from now on. Sounds like a better idea lol

Yeah. I'm in SoCal, and PetSmarts are absolutely horrible. There is usually a dead fish in every tank, and in one tank, every blood fin tetra had ich... PetCo is better, but I am still looking for a non chain LFS. The only one I've found specializes in sw, but right now I'm only fw. I would definitely advise against petsmart for fish lol.

Yeah. I'm in SoCal, and PetSmarts are absolutely horrible. There is usually a dead fish in every tank, and in one tank, every blood fin tetra had ich... PetCo is better, but I am still looking for a non chain LFS. The only one I've found specializes in sw, but right now I'm only fw. I would definitely advise against petsmart for fish lol.

Where in SoCal are you? I also live in SoCal there are a few stores I've found. Most specialize in salt water but the fresh water stock is MUCH healthier in my opinion. PM me and I can give you some names and who to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom