Help solve my algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small algae problem in my 2.5g shrimp tank.

Not sure if it's clear in the photo, but there are two types, small bright green dots on the glass and then a brownish film as well.

image-617946668.jpg

How can I stop this from happening? It's been an issue on an off since the tank was set up in May, but this is the first time the green spots have appeared!

Diatoms

The brown slime is diatoms which can be easily killed off by two or three nerite snails. The green dots are probably just standard alge and will also get eaten by the nerite snails. I feel your pain, I have been trying to get rid of my Blackbeard algae for months.:nono: good luck :)

Green spot algae is usually caused by leaving lights on too long and low phosphate levels. Diatoms can also increase when lights are on too long. What type of lighting do you have and how long do you run them each day? Nerite snails are the only algae eater that is capable of being able to scrape off and eat green spot algae. They also love diatoms. But you should try to correct the problems causing the algae before adding any algae eaters.

Rivercats said:
Green spot algae is usually caused by leaving lights on too long and low phosphate levels. Diatoms can also increase when lights are on too long. What type of lighting do you have and how long do you run them each day? Nerite snails are the only algae eater that is capable of being able to scrape off and eat green spot algae. They also love diatoms. But you should try to correct the problems causing the algae before adding any algae eaters.

I'm not 100% sure what my lighting is exactly, they're LEDs from eBay which cost about $10AUD. There is a picture below. I might be leaving them on too long, they are one for about 8 hours per day (4 in the morning and 4 at night), but my tank does get a fair bit of sunlight as well, because of the skylights in our roof.

My phosphates are between 0 and 0.25 using the API liquid test kit, which I find really tough to read.

Attachments

• image-3463075151.jpg
    image-3463075151.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3750592007.jpg
    image-3750592007.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image-960710842.jpg
    image-960710842.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 61
Dallascowboys16 said:
The brown slime is diatoms which can be easily killed off by two or three nerite snails. The green dots are probably just standard alge and will also get eaten by the nerite snails. I feel your pain, I have been trying to get rid of my Blackbeard algae for months.:nono: good luck :)

Thanks for the advice (and shared pain!) I have a few snails that hitch hiked their way into the tank, but they don't seem to be doing much at all! My mystery snail stayed on top of the diatoms pretty well, but also tried to commit suicide a handful of times so I've rehomed him to the 80L tank.

I have only ever seen mystery snails at my LFS, might need to do a special order for the nerites.

Not much you can do about light coming in from the skylight but your phosphates are low for a planted tank. Try upping them to around 1ppm and see if that helps.

Rivercats said:
Not much you can do about light coming in from the skylight but your phosphates are low for a planted tank. Try upping them to around 1ppm and see if that helps.

How do I raise phosphates? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I have no idea what phosphates actually do, I just know I need to test for them!

There are ferts that you can use, Seachem makes a liquid phosphate you can use. What type of ferts do you use?

Rivercats said:
There are ferts that you can use, Seachem makes a liquid phosphate you can use. What type of ferts do you use?

I use API leaf zone every 2 weeks. I'm worried about the copper in it with my shrimp, am I being overly cautious?

API Leaf Zone is only iron and potassium. And snails actually need some copper. I have a ton of shrimp and use alot of ferts and have no problems. The copper in ferts is very very low.

Thanks for your help Rivercats (And everyone else!)

Looks like a trip to the LFS tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day they get new plants in. Somehow I think I will leave with more than just the fertilizer!

Thanks for your help Rivercats (And everyone else!)

Looks like a trip to the LFS tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day they get new plants in. Somehow I think I will leave with more than just the fertilizer!

Isn't that always the case :lol:

Back
Top Bottom