Help trying to save fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you don't feel comfortable doing straight non RO pwc's you can always do 3/4 tap 1/4 RO or 50/50

55 gallon
No c02
Tds 138
Kh 4
Gh 7
Nitrate 25
Ammonia/nitrite 0

We all make mistakes as I still do, tank is still a work in progress, if you look at my anubias equilibrium actually burned them abd I had to do a massive trim
https://imgur.com/gallery/PNLiQvj
Don't get discouraged as heck I don't even really know how to reminerialize RO water

If you could, fill a cup with tap water and set it out on your counter for 24 hours. Then test the pH, GH, KH and TDS with your liquid API test kit. I'm curious as to what an accurate reading of your tap is. I'd hate to see you chasing parameters around with RO and additives and killing fish and plants if it isn't necessary.

I keep a tank with low light plants and fish and my water parameters are......

8.2 pH
KH 10
GH 10
TDS 320
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
No c02
Thrive liquid fertilizer

You're not going to kill the plants and tbh im surprised those are still alive as most plants do not do well in hard water especially as high as yours.

What tds meter are you using?

Using a Honeforest TDS digital meter.

55 gallon
No c02
Tds 138
Kh 4
Gh 7
Nitrate 25
Ammonia/nitrite 0

We all make mistakes as I still do, tank is still a work in progress, if you look at my anubias equilibrium actually burned them abd I had to do a massive trim
https://imgur.com/gallery/PNLiQvj
Don't get discouraged as heck I don't even really know how to reminerialize RO water

For sure I am going to ride this out and make it right.
For sure want to stick to RO water as the end result.
I love the idea of having consistent water and I can make the numbers exactly or close to exactly what my fish want/or are used to.

If you could, fill a cup with tap water and set it out on your counter for 24 hours. Then test the pH, GH, KH and TDS with your liquid API test kit. I'm curious as to what an accurate reading of your tap is. I'd hate to see you chasing parameters around with RO and additives and killing fish and plants if it isn't necessary.

I keep a tank with low light plants and fish and my water parameters are......

8.2 pH
KH 10
GH 10
TDS 320
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
No c02
Thrive liquid fertilizer

I will run this test King tonight and give you results tomorrow from taP WATER.

I have a very simple test I'd like you to do, test your RO water with your tds pen and make sure it's close to zero, since RO water can be 3-10

This is my tds meter it's ultra accurate, just curious as him testing the tds at such high levels if it might of threw out the calibration, also want to make sure his RO water is indeed 0.

Don't even need a tds meter really unless you're into shrimp.
HM DIGITAL TDS Meters TDS-3 Handheld Temperature TDS ( PPM ) Tester, 0 - 9990 ppm, 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy Testing Water Quality For Hydroponics Aquariums Pools Drinking etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FXRC354/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gs.HCbS6TSJF0

I have a very simple test I'd like you to do, test your RO water with your tds pen and make sure it's close to zero, since RO water can be 3-10

I have an inline HM digital DM-1 meter so I am 100% it is 0 coming out of the RO filter system.

This is my tds meter it's ultra accurate, just curious as him testing the tds at such high levels if it might of threw out the calibration, also want to make sure his RO water is indeed 0.

Don't even need a tds meter really unless you're into shrimp.
HM DIGITAL TDS Meters TDS-3 Handheld Temperature TDS ( PPM ) Tester, 0 - 9990 ppm, 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy Testing Water Quality For Hydroponics Aquariums Pools Drinking etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FXRC354/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gs.HCbS6TSJF0

I used my handheld meter to test the output of the RO system also and it matched my HM inline tester and also compared it to two other sources before I trusted its calibration.

Ok as of tonight with a 5 gallon water change so I don’t shock the fish.

PH 6.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 50
TDS 1162 (confirmed tap water is 384)
GH 50

Ok as of tonight with a 5 gallon water change so I don’t shock the fish.

PH 6.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 50
TDS 1162 (confirmed tap water is 384)
GH 50
Okay another side note that a pH of 6.2 is not good, yes Some fish have to be in those conditions, beneficial bacteria starts to die off at a pH of 6, why are you running such low pH in your tank, the fish you have like a pH from 7-8

Was told discuss prefer 6.5 PH and the other fish will be fine anywhere from 6-7 PH

Was told discuss prefer 6.5 PH and the other fish will be fine anywhere from 6-7 PH
I didn't see discus in your tank but okay yes that makes sense but you don't want to keep discus in a 20 gallon tank.

Edit looked again I see the discus

May I ask you why you started out with one of the hardest fish to keep not to mention one of the most expensive? who told you 20 gallons? Whomever told you 29 gallons I wouldn't go back to that store, they need a bare minimum of 75 gallons, it's okay to put in a 55 but you'll have to get a bigger tank as discus get huge, discus are only put in 20 gallons when they are spawning once they spawn they are moved back to their bigger tanks, also discus cannot handle nitrate that's why most discus keepers do bare bottom bottom tanks or very heavy planted tanks, also discus like groups as they are schooling fish meaning they need groups.

Tank temp for discus is also very warm, I know people that do daily water changes of 50-70% as discus are nitrate sensitive meaning no nitrate in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom