HELP!! URGENT!! Fish Mayday!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Have you added any at all yet?
If not, 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons is the full dose so about 1/4 of that IMO.

Haven't added any yet. Just lowered temp so far.

So I'm gonna add salt everyday? And do 50% wc everyday? I just wanna write all this down so I can follow a treatment plan.

Convict2161 said:
Haven't added any yet. Just lowered temp so far.

So I'm gonna add salt everyday? And do 50% wc everyday? I just wanna write all this down so I can follow a treatment plan.

What I would do is
1/4 dose now
1/4 dose in the morning
1/4 dose tomorrow night
1/4 dose the next morning
50% PWC once a day replacing salt taken out. (eg: if you have 10 tablespoons in the tank and you do a 50% PWC you have taken out 5 tablespoon of salt so you need to put that back in)

Good luck brother...Im watching close...If I see anything not covered by the others Ill chime in...I think your doing right

Thanks everyone I'm gonna try my hardest. Dosed salt tonight and lowered the temp. Tomorrow I'll dose salt again and do my 50% WC's. Hopefully we'll get through this.

Mumma.of.two said:
What I would do is
1/4 dose now
1/4 dose in the morning
1/4 dose tomorrow night
1/4 dose the next morning
50% PWC once a day replacing salt taken out. (eg: if you have 10 tablespoons in the tank and you do a 50% PWC you have taken out 5 tablespoon of salt so you need to put that back in)

Thanks Mumma this is what I'll do.

Mumma.of.two said:
Hope it goes well for you! Then when it's all done and dusted you can put it down as experience. :)

True, I've been though a lot but I'm also getting a lot of knowledge and experience in different aspects of the hobby.

Been reading a lot about different causes for stress and disease on Africans and fish in general. It looks like the massive re homing of 20+ fish could be a cause. Tearing the tank down, chasing fish, netting them checking to see which ones I had putting back the ones I wanted and netting again. Rearranging the tank again, high nitrAtes for days and water changes everyday at 50%. Also this just came light. There was a huge water main break that effect this area a few days back so water quality could have been compromised and I did 2 WC's under those conditions. Even though treated with Prime I wonder what was in the water. My mom tile me her water was a dark brown like rust color. That could be a factor.

I think after this treatment session it's time for the tank to be totally left alone. Some may not agree but I think the tank and fish need it. Just let it all be and fall into place. Of course I'll test the water but I think my buddy's need a break. I think all this going on stressed them. I could have taken a mate or a friend from them also. Not sure of that possible but hey.... Something happened.

Convict2161 said:
I think after this treatment session it's time for the tank to be totally left alone. Some may not agree but I think the tank and fish need it. Just let it all be and fall into place. Of course I'll test the water but I think my buddy's need a break.

^^^ totally agree. :)
They need a break. A holiday. Time to just chill out an relax! Come to think of it so do I!! Lol

So true! I've been reading ALOT I stressed then out BIG TIME with the re home etc. everyone gets a holiday!! :)

Hey!! We both changed our picture lol!!

Convict2161 said:
So true! I've been reading ALOT I stressed then out BIG TIME with the re home etc. everyone gets a holiday!! :)

Hey!! We both changed our picture lol!!

Lol yeah. Sometimes I'm not thinking straight and think its a good idea to post a pic of myself! Lol rofl!

I'd just let them settle in for a month or two with only water changed and vacs. Not new decor or rearranging. They will calm down and establish territories and be some happy little fish!

Mumma.of.two said:
Lol yeah. Sometimes I'm not thinking straight and think its a good idea to post a pic of myself! Lol rofl!

I'd just let them settle in for a month or two with only water changed and vacs. Not new decor or rearranging. They will calm down and establish territories and be some happy little fish!

LOL yea me too! Not what I was thinking putting a picture of myself up but what whatever. And yes I will for sure leave the tank alone after treatment. I just hope it's not too late. The tank is getting smaller and smaller as far as stock.

I've never seen anything like that! I hope it all works out for you. Hit all my fingers and toes crossed!

Man, ive been in the hobby like twice as long as you, and you have had way more problems! Lol!

You have more running tanks too:( haha

Youll get through this, you always do:) good luck!

Mumma, i have a question about your treatment. Why only 1/4 dosing of salt? Are chichlids bad with salt? Also, should he slowly add more? Lile next week go for 1/2 dose? Just questions, the procedure is new to me:)

UPDATE!!!!!!

:( :( :(

What is going on?!?! I'm ready to quit!! Back it up and forget this all together!! I fight fires!! I save lives all the time!! I've cut people out of cars!! I once had a guy trapped for 48 minutes!! Longest extrication I've ever had and he lived!! I've had a car fall off the highway and onto a secondary road she lived!! I've had 2,3,4 alarm fires with mutual aid from everywhere NO ONE WAS HURT!! Everyone goes home!!!

A fish tank is bringing me down?!? A 75 gallon fish tank is brining a firefighter, fire chief, a member of the hazardous materials team! I go where NOBODY wants to!! I'm part of the special operations team for the county! Technical rescue team and others!! I put my life on line for others all the time and I live it!! I never break!! I'm always strong for my men and women of the department. I love them all. And a fish tank?!?! A FISH TANK is breaking this 6,2 248 pound fire chief?!?!

UGH!!!!!! I try and try and try and try!!!!!!!! Nothing works!!! So now what?!?

They didn't make it!! Both were dead!! Floating by the heater.

View attachment 72045

View attachment 72046

View attachment 72047

View attachment 72049

View attachment 72048

The only one left showing any signs is my Moorii and I can't get to him. Should I keep treating the tank? Maybe meds?

Last edited:
Gboy66 said:
Man, ive been in the hobby like twice as long as you, and you have had way more problems! Lol!

You have more running tanks too:( haha

Youll get through this, you always do:) good luck!

Mumma, i have a question about your treatment. Why only 1/4 dosing of salt? Are chichlids bad with salt? Also, should he slowly add more? Lile next week go for 1/2 dose? Just questions, the procedure is new to me:)

Man Gboy you said it!!! What's the deal?! Maybe this isn't for me!!

No not sensitive but like every other fish you don't want to change the salinity too quicky. So a 1/4 dose every 12 hours increasing up to the full dose allows them to become accustomed to the salt level.

Convict - keep an eye on your loaches. They might not agree with the salt too much.

Back
Top Bottom