help w/5gal cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TravSpirit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I posted for the first time the other day. Finally, my test kit arrived. To bring you back to speed...found tank in basement, cleaned it by rinsing in clean water, added water using de-chlor, stones, heater and pump. Based on recommendation of pet store I've added microbe-lift (special blend) to the water. It has been like this for about three weeks. I've taken 1 gal out and replaced twice in that time. My current levels are: pH 7.6+ Ammonia 4.0+ No2 0ppm No3 0ppm. I have never (yet) added ammonia. The water appears a bit cloudy.

Here are my questions: What should I do from here? Is it cycling?

I posted for the first time the other day. Finally, my test kit arrived. To bring you back to speed...found tank in basement, cleaned it by rinsing in clean water, added water using de-chlor, stones, heater and pump. Based on recommendation of pet store I've added microbe-lift (special blend) to the water. It has been like this for about three weeks. I've taken 1 gal out and replaced twice in that time. My current levels are: pH 7.6+ Ammonia 4.0+ No2 0ppm No3 0ppm. I have never (yet) added ammonia. The water appears a bit cloudy.

Here are my questions: What should I do from here? Is it cycling?

Hmm, something is creating the ammonia, maybe it was in what the store gave you but I'd think it'd lower a little when you did the water changes, at least a little. Have you tested your tap water? The ammonia is where you want it & you should start seeing nitrites any day. There's no fish in the tank correct? Water changes aren't really necessary when doing a fish LESS cycle unless levels go off the charts or the Ph drops to mid-low 6's.

Back
Top Bottom