Help Wanted with Cichlid tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

125cichlidtank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 125 gallon Cichlid tank that im very invested in but id like to do more than just fish if thats possible. I am fairly new to the hobby. I have had a 55 gallon tank for over a year and just upgraded to my new 125. It has been up and running for the past 3 monthes with no issues. However im curious to get some opinions on what i can add to my tank to not only help with the enviroment but just the over all look the of the tank. Plants, inverts, etc all input will be appreciated.......

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Plants? limited to the type when having cichlids. Java fern, hornwort, sword plants, Anubis .. Spellings might be off.. Plants definitely make a difference...aesthetically.. Involves more care and time and money.

Lighting? Disco club atmosphere..

Wood and rock work?

Substrate?

I have a 125 gallon Cichlid tank that im very invested in but id like to do more than just fish if thats possible. I am fairly new to the hobby. I have had a 55 gallon tank for over a year and just upgraded to my new 125. It has been up and running for the past 3 monthes with no issues. However im curious to get some opinions on what i can add to my tank to not only help with the enviroment but just the over all look the of the tank. Plants, inverts, etc all input will be appreciated.......

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Before this can be properly answered, a few things are needed:
Pictures?
Stock list?
Lighting specs?
Budget?

Currently in my tank....

1. Aulonacara sp.
2. Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Undu Reef'
3. Aulonocara stuartgranti 'Chipoka'
4. Copadichromis trewavasae 'Mloto Likoma'
5. Pseudotrophus acci
6. Labidochromis caeruleus white
7. Labidochromis caeruleus yellow
8. Labidochromis sp. 'mbamba'
9.Labeotropheus fuelleborni
10. Pseudotropheus sp (4)
11. Lamprologus tretacephaleus
12. Bala Shark (3)
13. Rainbow Shark
14. Pacu (3)

Lighting for my tank is a Aqueon Modular LED Aquarium Fixture 36"

Budget not too much of a issue so im open to all suggestions.

I posted a few pics to get a general idea but i will take some better shots once i get back home so more pics to come..........

Im wondering also what are your thoughts on Clams, Snails, and frogs cause i have learned 1st hand that freshwater lobsters are dinner for my Cichlids as soon as they molt.....

I think you need to research the species individually. I would say no frogs. Snails like the MTS are fine. You have plenty of tank space so mixing Mbuna and Peacocks can be done but with caution. I really dont advise it. You may be fine for a while but when the mature you could have major agression issues. Stick with peacocks and Haps. Look into the all male show tanks. You can keep multiple haps and peacocks that will co exist peacefully. Just keep one male of each type. Mbuna like the Labidochromis could tear up the peacocks fins. There is a ton of info on here so just keep searching. I also would dump the sharks and Pacu. Just pick a lake and stick with that. Peacocks and Haps or Mbuna. Good luck, I also live in GA and don't mind helping in any way I can.

Justin

You maybe able to add a turtle depending on the size of it an your fish as he may eat your smaller fish but a friend of mine has a musk turtle in his 180 with his africans its pretty interesting to watch

i wouldnt suggest adding really anything with cichlids except the turtle if properly stocked.. we had a grasshopper somehow get in our tank before my husband could grab the net all his legs were ripped off and he was demolished...

Im gonna try pond snails in my 125 an see how it goes only bc ill have plenty if they dont work. There are cichlids that eat inverts in the wild so in the tank is prolly the same .. there are some threads on here about clams some keep them in the filter depending on the size you get ..

I thought about adding a turtle is there one species imparticular that goes well with Cichlids?

I saw recently my friend Andrew Mcfadden recommended sticking with a musk turtle... thats what he has.. you should do some research and see what you can find our about them .. i know they need a basking area and lights but thats all i know

Currently in my tank....

1. Aulonacara sp.
2. Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Undu Reef'
3. Aulonocara stuartgranti 'Chipoka'
4. Copadichromis trewavasae 'Mloto Likoma'
5. Pseudotrophus acci
6. Labidochromis caeruleus white
7. Labidochromis caeruleus yellow
8. Labidochromis sp. 'mbamba'
9.Labeotropheus fuelleborni
10. Pseudotropheus sp (4)
11. Lamprologus tretacephaleus
12. Bala Shark (3)
13. Rainbow Shark
14. Pacu (3)

Lighting for my tank is a Aqueon Modular LED Aquarium Fixture 36"

Budget not too much of a issue so im open to all suggestions.

I posted a few pics to get a general idea but i will take some better shots once i get back home so more pics to come..........

I would re home two of the labidochromis they will all fight, maybe to death and cross breed like crazy. The pacu needs to go for sure and the sharks can be iffy enough that I wouldn't do it.

Im wondering also what are your thoughts on Clams, Snails, and frogs cause i have learned 1st hand that freshwater lobsters are dinner for my Cichlids as soon as they molt.....

I haven't had any luck with any type of snails. The frog and clam will get ate eventually.

I thought about adding a turtle is there one species imparticular that goes well with Cichlids?

Musk turtles are a little slower then some other aquatic turtles and they stay small so they can't throw their weight around. If you do try to add one make sure you have all their needs covered. I'd also sugest waiting till your cichlids get 4+" so they can throw their weight around if needed. Just be warned you will never have fry in the tank and some smaller cichlids may come up ate

Last edited:
I dont believe there are any fully aquatic. The musk turtle can stay under water for months at a time and only get out of the water fully once in a blue moon. You still need to offer them a way out and a way they can be half in half out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom