Help! What is it? Is it alive??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chellebean7678

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I opened my hood tonight for the feeding and found this. It looks like its alive! :(
I have one Angel, 5 round banded barbs, five x-ray tetras, a ghost shrimp, and 2 nerite snails, 1 mystic snail (it's body is the same color of this "thing").
Any ideas on what this is? Should I remove it?

Attachments

• image-3283138055.jpg
    image-3283138055.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1431981189.jpg
    image-1431981189.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-4197164038.jpg
    image-4197164038.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 67
Pictures aren't too good on my fone but I think it's mystery snail egg sac? They lay them on hoods and above the water line.

I only have one. How did it mate? I thought they were not asexual.
It's creepy looking.

Snail's can store sperm for a long time, yours must be a girl. If you're not wanting babies you can remove the sac and put it in a zip lock bag and then put it in your freezer. I've been lucky so far mine are all boy's! And yep it doesn't look very nice.

Wow! My mind is blown! Thank you for your help with the identification. I didn't know if it was the snails, some weird bug got in the tank somehow, or if it was some strange breed of bacteria.
I have never thought about having snail babies.
I'm sure a lot would hatch. Hmm.. I wonder if my other fish would eat them...

Wow! My mind is blown! Thank you for your help with the identification. I didn't know if it was the snails, some weird bug got in the tank somehow, or if it was some strange breed of bacteria.
I have never thought about having snail babies.
I'm sure a lot would hatch. Hmm.. I wonder if my other fish would eat them...

No problem :) some might get eaten but I'm sure you'll have a few survivors. Good luck with them :)

Back
Top Bottom