Help with 10 gallon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone, i have some questions about my 10g. it's been established for half a year now, everything is running perfect and there's nothing wrong with my tank. i have some stocking issues though. currently, i have two little gold dust mollies in my tank. they weren't my choice, and i don't reeeally love having them in my tank :( they are pretty cute though, and i'd feel terrible giving them up to my lfs just because they aren't "interesting enough." (plus, getting rid of any animal after you get bored of it is soo not okay in my opinion.) so, i need some advice. if i get rid of them, it opens up some more possibilities for stocking with fish that i actually want in my tank. if i don't, it'll be probably a bit more difficult to find fish for my tank. i wanted one really pretty centerpiece fish, but i can't seem to find one that's compatible. i want to steer clear of dwarf gouramis if possible due to a bad experience with mine :( does anyone have any ideas for a centerpiece fish or maybe just a few unique/pretty fish for my 10g that would get along with two small gold dust mollies? thanks!! :)

Khloe

also, sorry for the difficulty, but here's some fish i've had in the past and DON'T want to get again: neons, dwarf gouramis, rummy-nosed tetras, or platys.

Khloe :)

In a 10g you could possible add a trio of cherry barbs, not really a centerpiece fish though.

Betta may work. Generally, they are pretty peaceful, but it varies on the fish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Betta may work. Generally, they are pretty peaceful, but it varies on the fish

thank you very much! i'd probably prefer to not add another betta because i already have two :) i have an adult named Zeus, but he didn't get along with my mollies... i also have a "baby" betta, but i'd prefer to keep him/her seperate.

Khloe

Or maybe an apistogramma?

thank you!! i've heard from people that they don't get along with many other fish including mollies? any thoughts on this? :) also, the barbs are definitely a possibility. thanks!

Khloe

You could do rasboras - I'm obsessed with my black rasboras right now but harlequins are more widely available. Threadfin rainbows are gorgeous too.

You'd have to check into it but I think the apisto would only be a problem if you had a pair.

The cherry barbs are nice...males have great color and they're peaceful.

Lots of micro rasboras you might be able to try. I'm just not sure about the mollies, never kept them before.

Instead of fish have you considered shrimp?

You'd have to check into it but I think the apisto would only be a problem if you had a pair.

The cherry barbs are nice...males have great color and they're peaceful.

Lots of micro rasboras you might be able to try. I'm just not sure about the mollies, never kept them before.

Instead of fish have you considered shrimp?

oh okay, thanks! i will definitely look into the cherry barbs and the micro rasboras. hmm shrimp are an option, i haven't even thought of that before. thanks for the suggestions :)

Khloe

"also, sorry for the difficulty, but here's some fish i've had in the past and DON'T want to get again: neons, dwarf gouramis, rummy-nosed tetras, or platys." {QUOTE}

Do you mind if I ask why? I'm currently considering a dwarf gourami or some platies to go in a 20 gallon with some Corys.

"also, sorry for the difficulty, but here's some fish i've had in the past and DON'T want to get again: neons, dwarf gouramis, rummy-nosed tetras, or platys." {QUOTE}

Do you mind if I ask why? I'm currently considering a dwarf gourami or some platies to go in a 20 gallon with some Corys.

well, i had a dwarf gourami when i first got my tank. i grew totally attached to him because he was basically my first fish, his name was Ash. i had him for a long time, and he was very hardy, he even had ich at one point. but to make a long story short, he got very sick one day and passed away, and i couldn't really get over it. it was so sudden, i had no idea what had happened, and he was my absolute favorite fish. i know it probably sounds really stupid, but i'd prefer to not get another just because i'd be kind of reminded of Ash. also, the gouramis at my lfs never seem to look as healthy as they could be. :) by the way, that sounds like an awesome tank!

Khloe

thanks for the reply! :) would that type of fish get along with my mollies? sorry, i don't know much about rams.

Khloe

Rams are completely community fish. Even though they are a cichlid, they are sooo peaceful. They would do great with mollies. They can be very territorial towards their own species though. Get either:

Only males
Only females
1 male and 1 female

Since they are so hard to sex you should just get 2 and then you'll be good nomatter what.

Rams are completely community fish. Even though they are a cichlid, they are sooo peaceful. They would do great with mollies. They can be very territorial towards their own species though. Get either:

Only males
Only females
1 male and 1 female

Since they are so hard to sex you should just get 2 and then you'll be good nomatter what.

I wouldn't recommend a ram for a 10 gal, there isn't really enough space for them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How about a school of 5 harlequin rasboras. Mine are in a 10 gal. They are very peaceful and school together, and are very pretty. Alison:)

I wouldn't suggest getting Rams. Definitely not enough space. They also need a planted tank and a tank that's been running for at least six months already.

If your going to get rid of the mollies, you could do a tank with Pygmy cories and CPD's. or you could do a shelldweller tank.

Back
Top Bottom