Help with a Platy (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my starter fish appeared to develop fin rot. The tail had a split in it with white around it, and over the course of a couple days the wound got bigger. I had an old Eclipse 6 kicking around from days gone by so I rigged it up as a hospital tank.

The Main tank has Cory's so no salt. The hospital tank has five gallons of water a thin layer of substrate a few fake plants and a small piece of driftwood to add a sense of security. The Temp is 81, a degree or two above the main tank and the filter is running for circulation, but the only filters for that system have carbon so there is no cartridge installed. The wheel is there. I also added an air stone to be sure there was adequate O2. The water was treated with dechlorinator/stress reducer and a tablespoon of API aquarium salt was added then the fish. I have been treating for five days with 1/2 teaspoon Melafix daily. The tail appears to be healing, though slowly. The problem I have now is the fish has gone lethargic. Mostly hiding and sitting on the bottom of the tank. She swims around some, but isn't really all the interested in eating even. I have no stand for this tank so it is sitting on the floor. I put some random stuff in front of it to keep my 15mo old son from getting at it. Sometimes I look in and she is swimming about and I figure she is fine then later I look in and I cant hardly find her because she is hiding on the bottom. She is a white Mickey Mouse so she blends in well. She is acting sicker now than before I put her in the tank. Ammonia is just barely stating to register with the API liquid test. I have wondered if she is stressed because maybe there is a lot of vibration in the tank through the floor? If that is the case I should put her back in the main tank, but I don’t want to pass around whatever she might have if it is more than stress.

Just as some background I had a Betta die a slow, and expensive for me, death prior to getting started with a larger aquarium. He seemed to have fin rot also, but responded to no treatments which included, bettafix, tetracycline, and Jungle Fungus Eliminator Treatment. I also lost a gold fish later to a sudden illness, sick to dead in 18hours or less, using some of the same gear. The idea of fish TB crossed my mind and everything was bleached, rinsed, and left outside to dry. The stuff was outside through a couple frosts even. Some of the decor from these tanks I put in the hospital tank. Could whatever killed the Betta and goldfish still be there? Seems inlikely, but I did read somewhere that if you get fish TB you should just junk your stuff, other info said to wash and dry thoroughly. Ideas?

Do I need to break this down into smaller questions to get help? I was trying to provide as much info as possible.

Back
Top Bottom