Help with algae please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Castillo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know what kind of algae this is and what to do with it? In the pic it's on Phoenix moss, but it's all over my tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442352297.821901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cyanobacteria aka BGA maybe? Can't really tell from the picture but that might be it.

Is it formed into mats over the plants?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like hair algae. Specifically fur algae or Oedogonium.
Since your tank is planted.

Some methods you could use to help clear up:
1: do a 50 % WC will help with excess nutrients.
2: what is your fertilizer schedule? The el method of dosing can solve any micro and macro nutrient imbalances you have.
3: what is your photo period? And what is your light strength? If you have too much light for too long of time can benefit algae growth over plant growth. Try reducing the light period or adding a break in between, like 3 hours on, 2 hours off 4 hours on etc.
4: what is your co2 if any? A co2 deficiency to the amount of light will cause algae to grow more than plants.

I have my light on for 8 hrs, it's an Evo green led light so really strong. Not sure on exact PAR. I'm dosing high amounts of diffused CO2.

Would Amano shrimp take care of it? Or any other natural methods? I would have to be a timer for the divided photo periods, but if I have to i will.

Thanks so much

Oh and yes completely covering the moss, it's also going after my Java moss on my rocks. My other plants seem fine

If the wood is not bound to anything is just remove it and scrub all the algae off.

Being your light is quite powerful that may be your problem. Too much light for the tank.

Caleb

Now that I'm on my PC I can see it isn't BGA. It does look like so sort of hair algae. Hair algae is mostly caused from to much light intensity/photoperiod so splitting the time in two blocks would help. Amano shrimp will also eat it, but you should find the cause of it and fix it.

I'm not familiar with this light so did a quick search. Is this the reef capable model? If so this is going to be a huge amount of light for freshwater. Does the light dim? For freshwater plants you want most of the light produced at ~6500k. Reef lights are more tuned towards ~420 to grow corals.

The problem is not algae on the wood, it's the algae on the moss on the wood haha

My light is the planted version not the reef version. I cannot dim it but I can set it to use half of the LEDs.

Thanks so much everyone for really helping!

Back
Top Bottom