Help with Anemone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unwritten said:
I had the guy order a t5 30 inch hood fixture but it won't get here until Thursday. In the mean time I bought a water wave circulation pump to help with the lack of movement in my tank. The save anemone isn't getting any better today...

What is the light? How many bulbs, watts.

I know he is sick. I turned off the light for 2 hrs because the guy at the store said they need maximum 10 hr and I left my light in for the past 72. Wrong lightening I'm aware of all this. What should I do now?

Attachments

• image-3334366242.jpg
    image-3334366242.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 101
  • image-541035817.jpg
    image-541035817.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 104
10hrs is not max buy yes 72 is way too long. Most people keep anywhere from a 8-14hr lighting period. Most prefer and see better results with around 10-12. Just resume a normal lighting Schedule of 12 on 12 off.

I turned the lights off for two hours and it shriveled.... Is that normal?

It looks like it turns into himself...should I leave the light off for the night or on?? I'm freaking out.

Attachments

• image-1334850538.jpg
    image-1334850538.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 105
Unwritten said:
It looks like it turns into himself...should I leave the light off for the night or on?? I'm freaking out.

Off. 12 hrs off 12 on. Cant leave the lights on all day. What lights are you getting?

Is it dead? Deathly sick?

I'm getting T5 30" light fixture with blue and white lights and moonlights. The guy suggested putting it on a timer. It should be here Thursday. I'm paying $150.

How many bulbs?, 2 isnt gonna cut it.

It is alive, it is simply shriveled up right now because 1 youve has the lights on to long and 2 you turned them off. Normal reaction at night is to shrivel. Wait 12 hours and turn lights back on, nothing you can but get proper lighting and maintain perfect stable water quality.

I ordered a two bulb. Why wouldn't it cut it? It's only a 20 gallon tank? He told me I would only need 4 for my 45 gallon tank

Unwritten said:
But a 90 gal is a big jump from 20 lol

Yea its a smaller tank but the light requirments are still the same. I have a 20long and still requires a 4 bulb light for nems. 48w on a 20g is nothing 2.4 watts per gallon. Your aiming for 4-5watts per gallon. Thats a general idea of what you need. A 30" 4 bulb is 96w =4.8watts per gallon its what you need for happy healthy nems.

I am sorry but I don't think that your nem is going to make it. I would be surprised at this point. While the lighting is part of the issue there are likely several factors which had led the nem to this point. Even if you had the perfect lighting system, the acclimation or water parameters could have led to the same reality.

With the new two bulb setup are you going with one 14k and one actinic bulb?

I'm going back to ask the guy further questions. I actually thought the sabe was doing better today...

Attachments

• image-3015594889.jpg
    image-3015594889.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 107
With the exception of being a little on the dark side, IMO the anemone doesn't look bad.
It's opened up and the foot looks good.
I would definitely get a better light, like previously suggested and kept your water parameters in check, but overall, I've seen much worse looking Nems.
Good luck with it! :)

I went to the store again today as the guy said that because it's a 20 long and I'm not looking to do clams or hard coral I should be jut fine with the two bulb. Worst case I buy another fixture for it in the future. My salt was perfect for the fish I have but a little low for anemones. Other than that im in great shape. Thanks guys!

What about ammonia, Trites and trates? Also, calcium, and other trace elements? Have you tested for those?

He tested them for me. Perfect readings. Only thing slightly off is my pH and he said that will change when I start the RO water changes.

Back
Top Bottom