Help with brown algae please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abrams96

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 2 planted tanks set up. One has a kitty litter substrate and one is dirt capped in sand. Both tanks use the same water from the same tap, both have the same water change schedule. My dirt tank is doing very well but my kitty litter tank has uncontrollable diatoms. EVERYTHING is covered. Glass, substrate, hardcape and plants, to the point where they are being choked out and dying. I dont know if the kitty litter is high in phosphates or silicates or what but it has me to point where im about to tear it down completely. Any suggestions on what to do or anyone have this problem with KL before? Thank you.

How long have they been set up? I have a tank that is KL with pea gravel/sand cap, had the normal diatom out break after the cycle then it was fine.

This tank has been up for over 2 years. Its not the usual new setup out break. Mine is also not capped, its just pure straight KL with a few smaller stones. I dont think lighting or temperature can cause diatoms? Which leaves the substrate as the remaining factor in my mind. I just dont know why?

Any suggestions? This tank also had a cyanobacteria outbreak last year that took forever for me to clear. Seems to be a problematic tank for me and I cant get a handle on it.

Back
Top Bottom