help with brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a brown algae issue in my ten gallon community tank. It is mostly on my rocks, glass, and decoration. How can I get rid of it? What creatures can help?

It's probably diatoms. The best thing to do is nothing! Let it run it's course and it will clear up by it's self. If you keep trying to get rid of it by manual methods it will come back even stronger. It looks bad but it is harmless

foster53 said:
It's probably diatoms. The best thing to do is nothing! Let it run it's course and it will clear up by it's self. If you keep trying to get rid of it by manual methods it will come back even stronger. It looks bad but it is harmless

But it has bee there fir over half a year.

Brown algae gets it's nutrients from silicates and if you've had it this long, then that more than likely means your PWC source (tap I assume) is rich in silicates so you may never just go away on it's own unless you go with RO water.

I'm in a similar situation .... I've had it for about as long as I've had my tank with no sign of it going away.

Since I can't get ro water and I don't know if my tap water is causing it, I will just solve the problem directly. I will get some more nerite snails, amano shrimp, and maybe some ottos.

I have the brown stuff in my newly cycled tank. I knew it would go away eventually but I had heard Oto's would clean it up and I thought it would be a great way to get some more fish. Man what a difference. In a week just about everything has been cleaned. They went to town on the stuff and have just about all of it gone.

I believe amano shrimp are best for eating algae, but im not certain on that. I can't get amano shrimp unless I order online, and they are 5$ each online (ouch!) So I don't want to get any.

Definitely get a few Otos. They keep the tank clean. We had a brown algae outbreak once. Those little Otos in a matter of 2-3 days had that tank spotless.

Awesome. I will get some next time my mom takes me to the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom