help with cycling my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Csheets

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i put a forum up the other day for help with my tank, my test strips came up :
nitrate - was high
nitrite- was 0
hardness- is very hard
alkalinity- very low
pH- is very very low my my test lowest one is 6.4 but i think its lower than that
ammonia- VERY high

everybody told me to do 50% daily water changes which i have been doing now for the third day. The ammonia still hasnt gone down, not even a lil bit. How long is it going to take? how many days should i be doing these changes?

I just read your previous posts. It the Butterfly is still alive, the daily water changes are a must. If he's gone (hopefully rehomed, not dead) leave the water alone until the cycle completes itself if you are doing it the old fashioned way, ie: just letting the water cycle without amonia or other additives. If you began using additives, keep following the directions. Fish keeping is all about patience. :)

yes i have fish in there including the butterfly n they are all acting fine besides the butterfly.

The fish are going to slow it down because they are adding to the cause of ammonia along with any uneaten food at the bottom. It's not going to drop in a couple days, but you are preventing it from getting higher. try stepping it up to two water changes a day. A tank normally takes up to two months to cycle without chemicals helping. Don't rush it, it's part of the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom