Help with cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so Iam cycling my 80 gallon and my results are
Ph 8 totally normal all 7 of my tanks are high
Ammonia 0
NitrItes 0.3
NitrAtes 5
All my tanks were seeded off other tanks including this one but all my other tanks took 1 week or less to cycle this one is 2 weeks in and my other tanks went from ammonia to nitrates skipping nitrites or it happened so quickly I never noticed so my question is do I need to do anything or sit back and wait I did a water change last night about 20% but nothing happened

Seems you've definitely got conversion going on. Depending on the bio-load and amount of seeding material you used, you've probably just got to knock out pwc's for a while until it stabilizes. Basically just consider it a mini-cycle and keep the ammo and no2 under .25 with pwc's as needed :)

Ok this was the one and only pwc thus far I have a couple decorations a seeded filter and I vacuumed my other tank I let the water go into my cycling tank and the only options I have for nitrites are 0.1, 0.3, 0.8, 1.6, 3.3 so what number does it need to hit before another pwc?

ryan-peddle said:
Ok this was the one and only pwc thus far I have a couple decorations a seeded filter and I vacuumed my other tank I let the water go into my cycling tank and the only options I have for nitrites are 0.1, 0.3, 0.8, 1.6, 3.3 so what number does it need to hit before another pwc?

.25 is the threshold of what is considered safe(ish). Come on Ryan, you know about getting the API kit! Lol :)

Unless your nitrates are getting high, just leave at as is. You can wait until you're done cycling to do another pwc. Also, make sure you keep supplying ammonia or your cycle might stall.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Unless your nitrates are getting high, just leave at as is. You can wait until you're done cycling to do another pwc. Also, make sure you keep supplying ammonia or your cycle might stall.

--Adeeb"

Oops, I posted a long comment and realized I was the one who misread, sorry, lol.

ryan-peddle said:
Yeah I am doseing

Absolutely my fault. I missed the post it was fishless and thought you were using seeded media to do a fish-in cycle. As long as the no2 isn't screaming off the charts, or the conversion doesn't seem to slow...just let things keep moving. Sorry for the mix up.

ryan-peddle said:
No problem just waiting for my nitrites to drop and then I am done

Yeah, my fault, lol. I thought it was fish-in. You were probably like- what the heck is eco talking about? Only thing I'd add is since you added water from your established tank (not really necessary in the future), you can't trust your nitrAte readings unless you know what they were at the moment they were removed from the cycled tank. Water from an established tank will always give the impression of a cycled tank regardless of the amount of nitrifying bacteria present. Just pay attention to ammo and no2, and when you can drop 2-4ppm ammonia to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hrs...you've got a cycled tank :)

Well my nitrItes dropped from 0.3 to 0.2 I dosed my ammonia back up results tomorrow but I have been showing 5 for nitrates tho that's good right I think it's cycled but I will give it another week to be sure

ryan-peddle said:
Well my nitrItes dropped from 0.3 to 0.2 I dosed my ammonia back up results tomorrow but I have been showing 5 for nitrates tho that's good right I think it's cycled but I will give it another week to be sure

In order to call it officially cycled...we want to see it drop around 3-4ppm ammonia down to zero with zero nitrItes in 24 hours. It sounds like you're getting really close.

I'd keep dosing it up a few more days...and it should hit all zeros pretty soon. :)

ryan-peddle said:
Ok it drops the ammonia in 24 hrs but the nitrites are almost at 0 not quite tho 0.2 after 24 hrs of doseing

.2 and not 2 right? Here's the deal...if you're dropping that much ammo and nitrItes that low in 24 hours, you're good to go. I wouldn't recommend that to other members, but since you have plenty of experience you'll be fine. The idea of 4ppm down to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours is designed to be overkill and be 100% able to handle anything you throw at it. The reason you always hear me telling people that number is because I don't want some genius cutting the process short, putting 3 Plecos into a 10 gallon, then complaining that they see ammo, lol. Just do a big pwc to get nitrItes to 0, make sure nitrAtes are low and add fishies :). Just keep an eye on things for a few days to make sure things stay stable. I'm sure you're in good shape though :)

I figured that too just didn't want to do a big pwc unless I got a second opinion and yes it's 0.2 thanks Eco your the man when I get on my pc rep points are coming your way

ryan-peddle said:
I figured that too just didn't want to do a big pwc unless I got a second opinion and yes it's 0.2 thanks Eco your the man when I get on my pc rep points are coming your way

No problem bro...happy to help :). Anyone doing a fishless cycle deserves any help, advice or second opinions they need IMO.

Back
Top Bottom