Help with danios!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissPufferfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The shop lady told me to get a zebra danio to cycle my 6g tank, so I did. The next fish I got was a leopard danio so my first one didnt feel so scared to come out. They were okay for a day or so then the bullying and chasing started, the new danio chases my old one all the time. No nipping by what I can see. Then a little while later I got a couple of panda cory that I thought would calm the territorial chasing. It didnt. The zebra still swims around but she is pushed into the corner by the leopard, sometimes the zebra doesnt give up and stands its ground until it cant cope anymore and goes back to the corner with the filter in it. I think the zebra is female and the leopard a male. I have decided to try and take them back to a lfs and get something smaller so I can stock enough of them so there is no bullying. Anyway my question; the zebra danio has small brownish patches at the back of the belly near the start of its tail. Are they stress patches or what? It kind of looks like algae. All the other fish look healthy and apart from the patches the zebra danio looks okay. Just wanted to know what it was exactly

I hate to say this but none of those fish are suitable for a 6g tank. Danio's are much too active and you need a group of them, which you can't have, to spread aggression out.

Without actually seeing a picture of what your talking about on the fish I can't comment what it could be, sorry.

Also adding pandas into an uncycled or well established tanjlk is a bad idea, they're extremely sensitive to ammonia. Danios need 20gallons as do pandas and both should be kept in a group of 5+

Last edited:
I know all this and it has nothing to do with my question. People need to stop jumping on about what can and can't go in a certain tank and try and help out with the problem in hand. Plus it was cycled. The cory's are a lot happier in this tank than where I bought them from. I do a big weekly water change and water conditions are fine. As I said (maybe you didn't even read my question properly before ranting on about what's acceptable) I'm taking the danios back. Just wanted to know if there was a certain symptom from bullying stress. Thanks for nothing anyway :)

Sorry. I'm just fed up of going on threads about something and all people do is moan about what fish one has in a tank. Not even helping with what was asked.

I've had issues with long-fin danio's in a 15 gallon doing exactly what you are talking about. I found out later that my tank was too small for them so I took all five back. Cories are too big for a 6 gallon. Even dwarf cories need at least 10 gallons (from what I have read). They do better in groups on top of it.

As for the brown patches, that could be some kind of fungus or possibly fight wounds? I don’t really know. Probably best if you post pictures so they can be looked at. Then someone could give you a better idea what is it.

You shouldn't be so defensive. People are just trying to help you so you don't end up with a bunch of dead fish. I’m not super new to the hobby but I had to learn everything over again since it’s been well over a decade since I had fish.

The reason people jump on the fish stock issues first is because fish stocking choices are the #1 cause of health and behavior issues. Any time a fish is not kept in the right space and company that they need they'll tend to stress, which leads to a weaker immune system and infections. This is true even if the water parameters are kept at the levels they need to be. If you correctly diagnose the infection and treat it, that's simply a bandaid fix, as they'll just get sick again to something else due to the low immune system... It's kind of like how you look how often humans get sick when under a lot of stress, vs how often they get sick when they're happy.

It's not that we're trying to attack you, we're just trying to solve the root problem rather than having you constantly coming back with more problems because we didn't solve the whole problem :(

I googled "zebra danio brown spots" and the only meaningful hit with a description similar to what you have posted was from another forum and there were NO replies.

As the other person mentioned, it could be stress related. I have danios and they are extremely active and keeping them in a large enough group helps offset any bullying/targeting.

I know all this and it has nothing to do with my question. People need to stop jumping on about what can and can't go in a certain tank and try and help out with the problem in hand. Plus it was cycled. The cory's are a lot happier in this tank than where I bought them from. I do a big weekly water change and water conditions are fine. As I said (maybe you didn't even read my question properly before ranting on about what's acceptable) I'm taking the danios back. Just wanted to know if there was a certain symptom from bullying stress. Thanks for nothing anyway :)

If you know all this, why did you put them into a 6gallon tank in the first place is my question? People need to continue to tell others what can and cant go into a tank because it's a problem all by itself. If someone else read through this thread now or in the future and nothing was said, it wouldnt give a very good impression now would it? I read your other problem clearly and without pictures its hard to diagnose, so that led me on to another important problem you have.

Back
Top Bottom