Help with Discus aggression.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

This never happened to me before, I just bought a beautiful Blue Diamond Discus this weekend he's about 3 to 3 1/2 " , acclimate him for a long time did the drip method like always, turn my lights off, but as soon a set him free in the tank my other Discus when at him. This never happened before this is a big tank with many other fish aggression has never being an issue. Waterchange, re arange the tank, he's still being bullied. The only thing different is that I only bought one Discus. I don't want to give up on the fish he's awesome...

Any suggestions ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is typical cichlid behavior. Can you put a divider in the tank and separate the new discus?
Not sure if that would work but it might make the new guy more used to his new environment without getting pecked at.
I have four discus in a 55 and there seems to be a leader of the pack that gets followed by the other three and he gets to peck some of the others as well but nothing too bad where I would have to separate them.

How many do you have and how big is the tank?

Is a 125 and I have 5 Discus they are bigger than him. I got a Leopard that's smaller even he is bullying the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is typical cichlid behavior. Can you put a divider in the tank and separate the new discus?
Not sure if that would work but it might make the new guy more used to his new environment without getting pecked at.
I have four discus in a 55 and there seems to be a leader of the pack that gets followed by the other three and he gets to peck some of the others as well but nothing too bad where I would have to separate them.

How many do you have and how big is the tank?

My discus still pick on each other at times. I think if you were to introduce more than one at a time, it would be better.

Man this is so typical of cichlids. I have used plastic egg crate before to separate a tank, they will still be able to see each other at the same time the guy will have a chance to acclimate to his surroundings without getting beat up.

I think your right, if this goes all week I will return him and get 2 instead of 1.

yeap.

Im leaving him this week. If I don't see that the aggression goes down I might return him and bring two at the same time. This worked for me before.

Back
Top Bottom