Help With Finding a Fish For 1 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't feed your Betta only once a week. Your tank is small enough you can do a water change easily and with Betta Water in case of a ammonia spike. Don't use tap, go to wal-mart or pet smart they sell Betta water very cheaply. I did use this water for my Betta (the one that jumped) and had no issues with cycling. Mostly because I would change about 10% each week. For a three gallon that would be .3 gallons, lol.

CaribSea Ready-Water - Fish Care - Fish - PetSmart

One of them lasted me for two month. I never used tap water for my Betta tank, and I never used tap for my saltwater. A cheaper method is just go to your supermarket and buy the filtered R/O water they sale in the machines. 3 gallons of that shouldn't cost you much, hardly over a dollar after you buy the jugs.

Trust me, using reverse osmosis water will save you so much trouble in the long run!

Your guy is still a growing Betta, you want to feed him well so he can grow nice and big with great color. Not feeding him at this point does nothing and does nothing to help your tank cycle. Just watch the water conditions and if the ammonia goes up, do a 90% water change. You won't harm your cycle process by doing a big water change once a week. The Bactria is in the rock and decorations, not in the water.

Unless your tap water is awful then this water isn't really necessary at all. It's basically the same thing as tap water with prime or stress coat added in.

Ok so would you recommend at least just buying the filtered jug water from the store or just keep on with the tap water & buy a water testing kit to monitor the ammonia or ph levels?

Get your API Master kit and use your tap water unless your tap water has high amounts of Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates but since your in St. Louis and so am I your tap water is fine. We have very good quality tap water believe it or not. Don't waste your money buying water if you don't need it. Prime is the only declorinator you need. The other problem with RO water is it has no minerals in it so it then needs to be remineralized with a product like Seachem Replenish which is just unnecessary for the Betta tank.

All you need to do is test ammonia and nitrites daily and if either ever rise above .25ppm you do a 50% WC and retest. Do this for a couple weeks then add testing nitrates along with ammonia and nitrites daily and just continue with the above WC's as needed. Once your tank is showing 0 ammonia and nitrites, along with some nitrates the tank is cycled and you can go to doing 50% WC's. It's not hard.

Don't add anything for a couple of weeks your tank still really hasn't properly cycled give it at least 2 weeks before adding anything else. Also make your you change your water at least 50 percent per week.

Don't add anything for a couple of weeks your tank still really hasn't properly cycled give it at least 2 weeks before adding anything else. Also make your you change your water at least 50 percent per week.

Ok got it! You've been a great help so far Josh7 I appreciate that!

The bio-load from a small snail is not going to effect the cycle one way or another so it's perfectly fine to add one now. Your doing water testing and WC's as needed so it's actually a good time to add one. IMO the best snail to add would be a Nerite snail since the tank is so small. I wouldn't add a shrimp because there is a high chance the Betta would kill it. There is a fish shop in the city called Aqua World 772-0100 that usually has some. I'd call and ask them.

The bio-load from a small snail is not going to effect the cycle one way or another so it's perfectly fine to add one now. Your doing water testing and WC's as needed so it's actually a good time to add one. IMO the best snail to add would be a Nerite snail since the tank is so small. I wouldn't add a shrimp because there is a high chance the Betta would kill it. There is a fish shop in the city called Aqua World 772-0100 that usually has some. I'd call and ask them.

Just be sure to get one of the smaller species of nerite. I had a large one overload my 5 gallon before.

So I just recently added a live plant to my tank. I followed the instructions that said to wash & remove as much gel & those little white pebbles from the roots then buried it under the rock gravel in my tank. I still have those white pebbles floating around so I did my best to remove them because my betta was trying to eat them :( Just nipping at them but not actually eating them.
Will those be a serious problem or am I safe that there are still a minimal amount floating on the edges of the tank?

I think they are safe. I don't see why they would put something that isn't safe for aquariums on the plant. What type of plant do you have?

I think they are safe. I don't see why they would put something that isn't safe for aquariums on the plant. What type of plant do you have?

I got a umbrella plant. But just not realized that the plant package says the top must be above water & I have mine fully submerged. :( eeek hopefully it doesn't die or do harm to my water or fish.
Suggestions?

I got a umbrella plant. But just not realized that the plant package says the top must be above water & I have mine fully submerged. :( eeek hopefully it doesn't die or do harm to my water or fish.
Suggestions?

Eventually it will decay.

Dang. Well as long as it isn't going to do harm to my fish or water that's not a huge problem. Still sucks for it to go to waste. Paying better attention to package detail next time! lol

Dang. Well as long as it isn't going to do harm to my fish or water that's not a huge problem. Still sucks for it to go to waste. Paying better attention to package detail next time! lol

Decaying plants will throw ammonia into the tank. Just pull it out and plant it in a pot if you don't want it to go to waste.

I can harm water - decaying plant matter can cause ammonia. I would take it out now and put it in a pot :)

No offense to anyone and I don't mean it badly but I giggled when I read that. It's amazing some of the dumb stuff pet shop employees will tell you..

Im sorry! I was told ive seen numerous cases of a single neon in nanos and ive also seen it on these forums so sorry that I made a mistake! And please be careful when you say stupid **** like you sound like a petsmart employee. because you never know who your talking to! I work at a reef store! And I did feel offended by that but Ill get over it! Its just the fact that you got on my case when I was trying to help! And I realize that it isnt sidman but I found that this was what I should quote it on! Thanks josh made my day....

Back
Top Bottom