Help with Fish Selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello gang,

I am looking at some suggestions of fish to add to our saltwater setup and quantities of each. Please see signature for tank setup. 46 gallon bow front. We really want to introduce some color to the tank. In another month or so, we will add the Bubble-Tip Anemone and a Clown fish.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on what else to put in there? Color Color Color. :) We have hundreds of those pods running around the sandbed and rocks also, so maybe something that eats them would be good too?

My wife would really like a Blue Tang (research shows they need min 70 gallons though). Could this still be done and maybe transfer to a larger tank later on?

Thanks for any optinions, I am searching all of the Online Livestock sites and there are soooooo many to choose from!

Scott

for the blue tang, its best not to stress the fish out, rather set up tank, cylce, and then add. if set on a certain one, see if the lfs will hold until the upgrade. as far as color is concerned, check out liveaquaria.com. they list all requirements on all fish. you could go with royal grammas, six line wrasse, chormis, gobies, firefish, or dwarf angels have lots of color..... up to you. :)

Vanphyre said:
Hello gang,

I am looking at some suggestions of fish to add to our saltwater setup and quantities of each. Please see signature for tank setup. 46 gallon bow front. We really want to introduce some color to the tank. In another month or so, we will add the Bubble-Tip Anemone and a Clown fish.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on what else to put in there? Color Color Color. :) We have hundreds of those pods running around the sandbed and rocks also, so maybe something that eats them would be good too?

My wife would really like a Blue Tang (research shows they need min 70 gallons though). Could this still be done and maybe transfer to a larger tank later on?

Thanks for any optinions, I am searching all of the Online Livestock sites and there are soooooo many to choose from!

Scott

Hey, I'm starting to think about stocking my 46 Gal Bowfront in the not too distant future....

I'm not sure how compatable all of these are, but I'm considering

Small Clean up Crew - Probably start with package for 30 Gal and see what else I might need down the road.

Clown (x2?) - I like the Percula, but not sure if they like to be in pairs or not (I see differing opinions)
Dwarf Angel (x1) - I think they like to be alone, not sure if they will bother other types of non-angelfish
Flame Hawkfish

I'm not sure if this is a good mix for starters or not, but I'm sure before I buy I will do more reading and get a few opinions on here...

Saltwaterfish.Com also seems has a good selection if you looking at the different types of stock.

Sw2

Hey Super,

Right now for clean-up crew I have the following, I am trying to add a few at a time to make sure there is enough stuff for them in the tank:

5 Nassarius Snails (may add 5 more)
7 Astraea Snails (may add 3 more)
3 Reg-legged Hermits, 2 Blue-legged Hermits (may add 5 more Hermits)
1 Emerald Crab
(might think about a few turbo snails also, the other guys are kind of small and can't get the glass squeaky clean. hehe)

We had two Yellow Fin Damsels, but took them back to the fish store. Don't want any aggresive fish like that in the tank... one of them was nipping the others fins. Thanks for the post vsnsofadrgn, I am now looking at the following possibilities.

Green Mandarin
Tomato Clown
Dwarf Angel (there are a few of them we like)
Can't decide on the 4th fish (am thinking 4 would be a good number).
Still would love the Blue Tang, have a lot of thought to put into it.

Cya!

for a mandarin you need LOTS of pods and an estabilshed tank with lots of live rock, i would hold off on that one. as for the tang, please think of its needs instead of your wants, it really does require a bigger tank, if the update is ASAP, then just pay for it and let the lfs hold it if possible, or just wait until the upgrade. the clown should be added last, some of them can get aggressive from what ive read. there are lots of colorfull fish to choose from, so just take your time.... as for the clown and dwarf angel, good choices, just add 1 at a time SLOWLY. this is the time for excitement, but you have to think of the fish first.

Hehe, thanks again. :) You are exactly right, let me explain about my tank. My signature isn't really showing up. Our tank is pretty well established now.

It's been up and running for 4 months now, approx. 2" of Live Sand and 60lbs of Live rock. There are pods galore scurrying all over the rocks and sandbed. (at first i had no idea what these were until posting on here and researching pods). I know I at least have hundreds. hehe.

Also have T5 Nova Extreme 36" lighting w/ parabolic reflector, AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer with Mag3 pump. Everything checks out good, Nitrates are still not Zero, but I hear that's impossible. Working on getting a RO/DI for future water changes.

I can hold off on the Tang until we upgrade. I'll start off with the Dwarf Angel, Mandarin, and Tomato Clown. And then add a Bubbletip Anemone once my RO/DI is in service and my tank levels are perfecto! :)

Cya and thanks again.

You still may want to hold off on the mandarin. They are very touchy fish and though you may think you have a lot of pods, he will make quick work of them and it is difficult to get them to eat prepared foods. Unless you have a source for buying pods if necessary I would definately reconsider on this fish.

he most aggresive fish should be added last. mandrains hunt daily for pods, so being able to keep that population up is the key and an "esabished" tank is one that has been up and running for about a year. about the singnature, go to your profile and select "view signatures" int he questionire thingy, it will show then. anemones also need an estabished tank along with proper lighting. just go slowly and youshould be good. ask any questions needed.

Back
Top Bottom