Help with ID please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple of pics that I'm hoping someone can help with. I have a small colony of some sort of polyp that I suspect is rock anemone but am unsure. You have to look closly at the center of the pic they are very small but visible. Sorry best pic of the 5 I took.
img_899094_0_14841e4fd53a4df6fabb187d1c102e69.jpg

The second is an algae that I suspect is Sargassum but would appreciate if someone can confirm or deny this.
img_899094_1_1c04f3cac5a07dd22a5bfc6d8e6191fe.jpg

Thanks for your help.

The polyps you are talking about, (the greenish looking area?) would it be possible for you to circle the area in question? What I see are what looks like some stony coral skeletons. Sometimes these come in alive and do well, some don't. Maybe even removing the rock and getting a macro shot of the area might help.
As for your algae, I agree it looks like sargassum.

I think the main area is just up and right (barely) from the stony coral skeleton area... partially covering it. There are three patches of it, if I'm seeing the correct thing.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like it could be a living portion of what that stony skeleton is. It'd be nice to have a better picture. I don't think they're rock anemones because I don't think those grow in colonies... do they? They almost look like a Blastomussa colony or something like that. (Just talking out loud...)

Ok I tried to lift the rock to the surface and take a good pic of these polyps. unfortunately I broke the surface so the bottom colony kin of closed up a bit but to the right you can see a small colony that is still open.

img_899372_0_935be1bafb0e60ac44f990333923d73f.jpg

I really can't see them well enough, dang these old eyes. What I can see though is they appear to be some type of cup coral maybe? Possibly astrangia (sp?). When they close up, can you clearly see the skeleton? Offer it some finely chopped fish meat and see if it takes it. I'd also offer it medium flow and see how they do. Wish I could help more.

Back
Top Bottom