help with inverts I.d.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some new live rocks the other day and they have some neat inverts. Not sure what they are and think they are comon but any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120910_202636.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120910_202636.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20120910_202653.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120910_202653.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 121
Oops sorry. Thanks for the id. Do they require any special treatment, supplements, lighting? I have no experience with corals.

What type of lighting do you have? Both xenia and mushrooms do well with ost any type of lighting, which is why they're usually recommended as beginner corals. Also I think that xenia may be clove polyps, but they're very similar in care anyway.

The xenia may/will spread quickly if it likes your tank, which is why it's all over that rock (and also why it's said to "spread like a weed"). Same could be said for the mushrooms, but they split slower than the xenia and are easier to keep confined. Both get most of their food from photosynthesis and will filter feed a bit, but it's usually not necessary to supplement food for them if your tank is established.

My xenia likes moderate lighting and moderate flow, and my mushrooms are doing well with low lighting and low flow.

They look good in the pic...you got some nice stuff....
Hope it does well.

Thanks for the info petrichor, super helpful.
Thanks zactheninja, I can't take credit tough, I just got them from my local store a day or two ago. They have a phenomenal set up there, really good with corals.

First pic is definitely pulsing xenia and looks like you might have a favia on that rock too.

I couldn't wait so I looked it up now... :)
I don't think it is a Favia coral judging by the pictures on Google.

That is a type of favor brain, I have one in my tank for several years. Did ok under fluorescents, but needed supplemental feeding with reef snow. I have it under Radions now and is nice and fuzzy. Catches some mysis bits from the water column. Yours looks a little bleached, might want to move it up higher and give it a shot of reef snow to brown it up a bit and when it's fuzzy the polyps are out and that's a good thing

Attachments

• image-2753347604.jpg
    image-2753347604.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 84
I'll get some reef snow. Mine doesn't look too healthy right now, the other side not in the picture looks worse (more bleached. It was in a lr tank at the store, didn't much light for a while. It's mid tank right now, I can maybe move it up a couple inches but its near the top of my structure already. The flow is best where it is at the moment also. Hopefully I can bring it back. Thanks for the id!

No problem, mine did look like that at one time and I also picked it up on one of my first Li pcs. Hopefully with the new Radion lights I have, I can make it grow. It's my baby, first coral ever...good luck

Reef snow, its,good for,inverts and coral and fish. You can also find it under marine snow. Or something called cycloppeeze. Anything for coral or filter feeding inverts should work.

Thanks for clarification.
I researched coral snow last night and most of the product descriptions were for yellowing of the water.

I use this for my corals and it's never yellowed the water for me, and I have a 24 gallon nano. Sometimes I spot feed them this too.

Back
Top Bottom