Help with modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kai88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Fluval flex 15 and opted to get a canister filter for better filtration and to be able to utilize lily pipes. The problem I am running into is now that I have the lid off of my aquarium, so much crap is flying in and sitting on the top where the canister can’t get to it. I also feel like water is starting to stagnate in the back sump now that I have switched to the canister. I have a lily pipe and a surface skimmer coming tomorrow. Will that help with the surface debris? Should I somehow close off the back sump to prevent the water from stagnating?IMG_2229.jpgIMG_2230.jpg

I know people have just removed the sump.

What might have been a better idea than getting a cannister would have been to get media baskets for the sump.

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...intank-fluval-flex-57l-media-basket-chamber-1

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...Oxn_xMEFQy5dlUVX5h9loT4ozGgRBX9IaAiTFEALw_wcB

There is actually quite a lot of space in the back that can be better utilised. Possibly more than your cannister.

Thanks. I think I will go return the filter and go pick up some more media instead. It was also suggested that I get a surface skimmer as well. Should I just use a bunch of biorings?

Ive got that exact same tank. I just put biomedia in a filter bag in the bottom middle chamber under the block of sponge.

Biorings, matrix, i use biohome. Anything like that.

Personally seems a waste of buying a flex, then not using the sump at the back and ditching the lid and light. You could get a custom tank made to the same dimensions for a lot less money than buying a flex.

I dont think you need a skimmer.

Thanks for the advice, Ill grab some of that media. Did you end up putting anything in that first sump tank or just leave it empty?

I have a Fluval flex 15 and opted to get a canister filter for better filtration and to be able to utilize lily pipes. The problem I am running into is now that I have the lid off of my aquarium, so much crap is flying in and sitting on the top where the canister can’t get to it. I also feel like water is starting to stagnate in the back sump now that I have switched to the canister. I have a lily pipe and a surface skimmer coming tomorrow. Will that help with the surface debris? Should I somehow close off the back sump to prevent the water from stagnating?View attachment 323370View attachment 323371
Hello, I found this on youtube. The tank is a 123 ltr(33gal) but the idea is still the same. It utilizes the sump & canister filter. Might give you some ideas. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!Screenshot_20220502-191720.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Ill grab some of that media. Did you end up putting anything in that first sump tank or just leave it empty?
Ive just left it empty. Its a new tank, and im not 100% sure what im going to do with it yet.

I may put some polishing floss in there, and its some spare space for a bag of carbon or other chemical media should there be a need. The sponge block and the additional bag of media should be enough for what i plan with it.

I agree that seems like a strange configuration to buy a rather expensive tank (for what it is) then basically toss aside all of its features and use it like a cheap tank

The only reason I could see using an external canister is just because you like the lily pipes or if you want to add a little more volume to a heavily stocked tank.

FluvalSmart makes a pretty inexpensive skimmer for the intake of the canisters and should solve the issues of a dirty surface to some extent but it’s not designed to suck up leaves and larger bits

Back
Top Bottom