Help with my new mini aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erickmh1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new in the forum and in fishes as well. So I wanted to start with the smallest tank. I bought one 5 gallon aquarium, those that say minibows, and i set it up two days ago. It looked pretty nice, i also added a small trunk and some artificial plants. I let it run during almost 24 hr with the filter (included in the tank) and yesterday i put an electric yellow in it, which the store guy told. me would be ok in a 5-gallon tank. But now the water is kind of cloudy, kind of green or yellowish. IDK if it is the trunk or whatever cause i havent unplug the filter. also the fish is kind of shy, he doesnt want to swim around, always hiding in the trunk. Im thinking about taking the trunk out.....

Give the fish some time to adjust to his new surroundings. Fish need places to hide and feel safe.

The lfs guy said an electric yellow fish would be okay in a 5 gallon? Thats absurd, those fish grow to 7ish inches long and need a 55g minimum. You are going to need to return that fish.

As for the cloudiness, thats because there's ammonia in the tank. A tank goes through a cycle where bacteria grows to consume the ammonia in the water and convert it to nitrite. Then another type of bacteria grows and converts the nitrite into nitrate.

The ammonia and nitrite are highly toxic whereas the nitrate is less toxic. Your ammonia and nitrite levels should be kept under 0.25 ppm for the safety of the fish. You can keep the levels safe by doing a 50% water change any time one of them climbs. An api master test kit would be best for this.

Also, go ahead and never listen to that lfs for information ever again.

Yellow labidochromis is the name of the electric yellows if you wanted to do a search on them.

Small tanks are much harder to maintain as the water parameters can fluctuate more quickly.

I would return that fish while it is still within the return period, take a few weeks to cycle the tank, and then get a betta instead. A much better fit for that size tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry your first experience ended up with some sketchy advice. Once you get your tank cycled and get a proper fish in it (I suggest a single betta instead of the electric yellow).
Read up on the info about cycling. Running a tank for 24 hours does nothing. I know that is often the advice that stores give, but unfortunately it is not sound advice.
Good luck! Let us known if you have more questions. I know that hearing all your former advice was incorrect is a let down, especially after going through the effort and time to set up the tank.

I agree with the posts above.

I'd also like to add that there are fish suitable for a 5 gallon (as long as you're willing to monitor the water parameters closely since its a small tank and more likely to fluctuate more quickly.)
If you have a heater, then 5 celestial pearl danios (aka Galaxy rasbora) along with a couple red cherry shrimp would go well together.

If there is no heater, then you might consider 5 White Cloud Mountain minnows.

However, you will have to cycle the tank properly before adding any fish.

Back
Top Bottom