Help with my water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mljones99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to aquariums and I will admit off the bat that we should have gotten a bigger tank (it was intended for our toddler to enjoy so we didn't want to sink a bunch of money in a big tank if we ended up not really enjoying it) and i overstocked it to start with. Plus I wasn't as familiar with cycling (just going by what Petsmart guy told me) so i don't believe the tank fully cycled. It went about 2 weeks with no fish before we added some (too many). So after thinning the population down some I got a proper water test kit and here is what I have going on right now.

10 gallon tank with a small platy, a couple of corys, and 3 small neon tetras.

ph is around 6.8 (depending on the light it reads anywhere from 6.6 to 7.0 on the color chart
ammonia is 1.0ppm
nitrites is 0ppm
nitrates is 0ppm

I'm confused by these numbers... I figured my ammonia was high due to overstocking and more than likely overfeeding but was expecting everything else as well.

Thanks in advance and please take it easy on me!

New to aquariums and I will admit off the bat that we should have gotten a bigger tank (it was intended for our toddler to enjoy so we didn't want to sink a bunch of money in a big tank if we ended up not really enjoying it) and i overstocked it to start with. Plus I wasn't as familiar with cycling (just going by what Petsmart guy told me) so i don't believe the tank fully cycled. It went about 2 weeks with no fish before we added some (too many). So after thinning the population down some I got a proper water test kit and here is what I have going on right now.

10 gallon tank with a small platy, a couple of corys, and 3 small neon tetras.

ph is around 6.8 (depending on the light it reads anywhere from 6.6 to 7.0 on the color chart
ammonia is 1.0ppm
nitrites is 0ppm
nitrates is 0ppm

I'm confused by these numbers... I figured my ammonia was high due to overstocking and more than likely overfeeding but was expecting everything else as well.

Thanks in advance and please take it easy on me!

Keep going. Frequent water changes to keep the ammonia down, and eventually those nitrites and nitrates will start to rise, and ammonia will diminish. I just cycled my new 60g cube and it took less time than my 10g. As you implied, small tanks are much harder to maintain correct ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, but just keep up with the testing and water changes and you should see the tank start to cycle soon.

Do you have any plants in the tank?

Keep going. Frequent water changes to keep the ammonia down, and eventually those nitrites and nitrates will start to rise, and ammonia will diminish. I just cycled my new 60g cube and it took less time than my 10g. As you implied, small tanks are much harder to maintain correct ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, but just keep up with the testing and water changes and you should see the tank start to cycle soon.

Do you have any plants in the tank?

Just some artificial stuff. I want to make sure I get a firm grasp on the basics before I start adding in live stuff. That might have to wait until we move into a bigger house and get a bigger tank.

I hear ya, but plants are great for cycling tanks. I cycled my old 55g with plants. Never had an issue.

Just a thought. Keep on it and itll cycle.

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

I hear ya, but plants are great for cycling tanks. I cycled my old 55g with plants. Never had an issue.

Just a thought. Keep on it and itll cycle.

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Hmm, I may have to read up on live plants and maybe try one. Any good guides to get started with live plants?

Hmm, I may have to read up on live plants and maybe try one. Any good guides to get started with live plants?

Check out the planted tank forum. There's a sticky in there to help you get started with plants and which plants are easiest for low light and such. My favorite is the anubias nana. It's a slow grower and doesn't need much light or extra nutrients and co2, plus it's pretty :)

I got started the same way and still have most of my original fish (5 neons, 1 guppy, and 1 bristlenose pleco--lost 2 guppies). But I really love the hobby and now have a 55g with over 30 fish. ?

Back
Top Bottom