help with oscars!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're beating a dead horse on this thread guys! Regardless of what a tiger Oscar eats in the wild, we're not talking about a wild fish here. It's a fish in a tank and I think most of us would agree (me included) not to feed live fish to a Tiger Oscar. :)

It's not beating a dead horse, it's just correcting misinformation. The truth is, oscars do eat fish in the wild, and they are built to do so. They don't have to be a stalking predator in order to eat other fish. Most fish species in the wild have some sort of predation in their lives, look at guppies/guppy fry for instance.

I don't feed my JD's live fish, but I don't have a problem with it. I give my pickerel cull fish regularly since they won't eat prepared foods.

Live fish as a diet is not ideal for most fish, since there are pellets that are much healthier and balanced. However, feeders can be QTed for disease and gut loaded with high quality foods prior to feeding so it transfers to the fish that is eating them.

Maybe I should better explain my reasoning behind why I would not feed a Tiger Oscar live fish! I own a tiger Oscar and they can be very agressive any way when you feed them, mine has almost taken my finger off ( he did draw blood believe it or not) but anyway on with the story I have a very good friend who owned a tiger Oscar for about 5 years and somebody told him he should feed it live fish. And he noticed that when he started doing this his already agressive at feeding time Oscar would practically jump out of the tank when he did this! It scared him so he stopped doing this, but unfortunately for him and his fish it was too late! A bug got into the tank when he was at work one day and he came home to find his dead Oscar laying on the floor! That was the only time I ever saw my friend cry he was devastated!! :-(

I think we're beating a dead horse on this thread guys! Regardless of what a tiger Oscar eats in the wild, we're not talking about a wild fish here. It's a fish in a tank and I think most of us would agree (me included) not to feed live fish to a Tiger Oscar. :)

You keep saying this but what facts do you have to support your don't feed oscars live fish theory? Live fish are perfectly fine to feed to oscars as long as it's done correctly, like breeding fish yourself and properly gut loading them. These techniques will ensure proper nutrition and a disease/parasite free feeder used inconjunction with a high grade pellet regiment. What you keep stating is YOUR opinion not factual, there are plenty of successful aquarist that feed live to a vast number of fish including oscars.

brooks0622 said:
is it ok to feed my oscars minnows from a river where i?

This was the original thread and some of us feel strongly about not feeding a Tiger Oscar live fish! The question was not do Oscars eat minnows in the wild!

Maybe I should better explain my reasoning behind why I would not feed a Tiger Oscar live fish! I own a tiger Oscar and they can be very agressive any way when you feed them, mine has almost taken my finger off ( he did draw blood believe it or not) but anyway on with the story I have a very good friend who owned a tiger Oscar for about 5 years and somebody told him he should feed it live fish. And he noticed that when he started doing this his already agressive at feeding time Oscar would practically jump out of the tank when he did this! It scared him so he stopped doing this, but unfortunately for him and his fish it was too late! A bug got into the tank when he was at work one day and he came home to find his dead Oscar laying on the floor! That was the only time I ever saw my friend cry he was devastated!! :-(
My JD's do the same thing when I feed floating pellets, that's why I keep grating on top of their tank. I had a few jumpers in my time also, and now the big cichlids always have secure covers on their tanks.

Sucks that the fish jumped. It's in their instinct to be insectivores though, so whether he was fed feeders or not, he could've jumped on a bug either way.

This was the original thread and some of us feel strongly about not feeding a Tiger Oscar live fish! The question was not do Oscars eat minnows in the wild!

That's not what your opinion of feeding live fish is referring to, you state in numerous threads not to feed live under any circumstance...again your opinion.

HUKIT said:
You keep saying this but what facts do you have to support your don't feed oscars live fish theory? Live fish are perfectly fine to feed to oscars as long as it's done correctly, like breeding fish yourself and properly gut loading them. These techniques will ensure proper nutrition and a disease/parasite free feeder used inconjunction with a high grade pellet regiment. What you keep stating is YOUR opinion not factual, there are plenty of successful aquarist that feed live to a vast number of fish including oscars.

I said I don't recommend it! If you want to feed yours minnows or whatever then do it!

HUKIT said:
This forum has taken a drastic turn for the worst lately(possibly due to the release of the app) with less experienced aquarist just repeating poor and innaccurate information to new members asking questions based on what they read or heard without actual knowledge or first hand experience. This has gotten out of hand IMO and needs to stop immediately and the only way to stop this is to call out the offenders. Some posters seem to be racing to be the first to respond thinking post count actually means something but in reality it's irrelevant. Remember quality post count and quanity means nothing.

I'm talking from experience! I have a tiger Oscar! And yes it is my opinion not to feed a tiger Oscar live fish and I thought I explained why I feel that way! And I do have a lot of experience and I have a good friend who owns a lfs and has for 20 yrs and I get a lot of information from him! (he's the one btw that lost his Oscar when it jumped out of the tank) but I think your being very rude and offensive when you say what you've said in the above thread! I joined this site not because I'm inexperienced but because I want to help people, no I'm not a marine biologist and I don't claim to be! I belong to other forums like this one and have for a long time and yes I just joined like a month ago on this one. But I've NEVER had anyone be as rude as you and I might just take myself off this site!! Which is unfortunate because there's a lot of respectful, informative, helpful people on here.

I said I don't recommend it! If you want to feed yours minnows or whatever then do it!

I don't feed any live feeders as I feed NLS exclusively to all my fish, the point was when your making statements like your earlier posts these opinions not factual make sure you let people know this.

HUKIT said:
I don't feed any live feeders as I feed NLS exclusively to all my fish, the point was when your making statements like your earlier posts these opinions not factual make sure you let people know this.

If you read my posts on this thread I told based on a fact of why with my experience with a tiger Oscar .......... You know never mind! Because pretty much what posts I read from you are biased,opinionated and rude!

Btw isn't your Avatar a fictitious character from the Movie Neverending Story? My 10 yr old loves that movie, lol!

Wow way to prove what I already stated on page 1 in regards to oscars being a opputunistic feeder on live fish...big surprise. I've been breeding large fish including oscars, jags, red terrors, mulitple peacocks & mbuna and Trimacs for twenty plus years so trust me when I state something to be factual based on multiple experinces over many years not well my friends oscar jumped because he fed them minnows. Mine are based on a twenty five career of breeding and selling fish, not a hobbyist with a grossly over stocked 55g aquarium.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Wow way to prove what I already stated on page 1 in regards to oscars being a opputunistic feeder on live fish...big surprise. I've been breeding large fish including oscars, jags, red terrors, mulitple peacocks & mbuna and Trimacs for twenty plus years so trust me when I state something to be factual based on multiple experinces over many years not well my friends oscar jumped because he fed them minnows. Mine are based on a twenty five career of breeding and selling fish, not a hobbyist with a grossly over stocked 55g aquarium.

Lol I like how you try to insult him at the end. FYI he's moving his fish to a bigger tank in a few days.

Lol I have read this thread at the amusement of tigroscr and this posts. Especially the one where your oscar drew blood feeding it. Simple answer you can feed you Oscar live food I would watch though and make sure where you get it breeding rosy reds works better that way you know what they have been feed. I would not feed a Oscar goldfish mainly because goldfish have little to no nutritional value.
Tigroscr if you have been insulted over what someone has said on a forum I think it's tine to look out your window not everyone Is friendly but nobody likes a winer. Btw your tank is very cramped???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom