Help with Stocking 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all -
I have a somewhat newly established tank (like 3 months old). Everything is finally going smoothly. I have two Opaline gourami, a flame dwarf gourami, two neons, a bamboo shrimp, albino bristlenose pleco and a blueish looking snail (mystery?).
Last week I had added a German blue ram with the flame gourami and snail (water was reading nearly perfect - slightly low PH) I didn't read about rams beforehand and the fish guy never mentioned PH when I got him. So a week later he was dead. :( Everyone else just fine.
My water now is kind of soft like a 25. I added PH increaser but it didn't work (tetra brand). PH still about 6.6...alkalinity is about 40 (maybe like 50)....nitrite 0 and nitrate about 15.
So I guess my water is just gonna stay soft & acidic?? Did a 30% water change too. So what else can I put into the tank that will survive my acidy-water? Or...how can I raise my ph?
Thanks muchly!

...Sorry if my entry seems idiotic I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Most fish can survive whatever your PH is as long as they are acclimated properly; how did you acclimate the fish? That being said, GBRs are very hard to keep as they are sensitive fish. You might want to try a BOlivan Ram instead. What size tank do you have? It's generally not a good idea to mix different types of gourami as they'll often kill each other. Messing with PH is usually not a good idea unless absolutely needed (and in most cases it isn't).

I put him in a pot and then added tank water over a half hr then put him in. The opalines and flame haven't interacted at all in the last week and half....is that a good sign? So I can basically add any fish I want? Oh and its a 29 gal.

Oh okay thank you. Must I contact one or they just do it on their time?

stepho725 said:
Hi all -
I have a somewhat newly established tank (like 3 months old). Everything is finally going smoothly. I have two Opaline gourami, a flame dwarf gourami, two neons, a bamboo shrimp, albino bristlenose pleco and a blueish looking snail (mystery?).
Last week I had added a German blue ram with the flame gourami and snail (water was reading nearly perfect - slightly low PH) I didn't read about rams beforehand and the fish guy never mentioned PH when I got him. So a week later he was dead. :( Everyone else just fine.
My water now is kind of soft like a 25. I added PH increaser but it didn't work (tetra brand). PH still about 6.6...alkalinity is about 40 (maybe like 50)....nitrite 0 and nitrate about 15.
So I guess my water is just gonna stay soft & acidic?? Did a 30% water change too. So what else can I put into the tank that will survive my acidy-water? Or...how can I raise my ph?
Thanks muchly!

Do you happen to know about rams being sensitive to nitrate? I would be willing to bet it wasn't pH that killed the ram but to high (too high for rams) nitrates, I know it's said once a tank is cycled nitrates are ok for fish that are (you get varying opinions) at 40ppm, some say 20ppm. If you have rams ideally you want to keep nitrates low as possible, like 10ppm or below, 10 being the highest. Stability of pH is better for fish than trying to mimic water params found in nature. As long as you live in the same area you purchased your fish the fish should already be used to the pH.

Interesting miss H. My nitrates remain around 15 so I would bet that what you are saying is true. I had no idea about the nitrate sensitivity and had only seen info about the ph.
I'm going to check my tap's ph now so I can figure out whether the driftwood is lowering it or it just comes that way. (Driftwood does lower ph right??)
Do you know much about Gouramis or stocking? :) you're rather knowledgeable and I think I need a pocket sized you so I can have an answer to the million questions I come up with daily!

stepho725 said:
Interesting miss H. My nitrates remain around 15 so I would bet that what you are saying is true. I had no idea about the nitrate sensitivity and had only seen info about the ph.
I'm going to check my tap's ph now so I can figure out whether the driftwood is lowering it or it just comes that way. (Driftwood does lower ph right??)
Do you know much about Gouramis or stocking? :) you're rather knowledgeable and I think I need a pocket sized you so I can have an answer to the million questions I come up with daily!

Trust me here's plenty of more knowledgeable people on the forums lol, but I will help wherever I can, feel free to PM me! And Im pretty sure that driftwood does lower pH. I only know this about rams because since getting mine I'm obsessed with them and have researched about them a ton! I'm learning about stocking but again there's more knowledgeable people out there but I can always give my opinion! Don't know much about gouramis, I've never had any and honestly aren't all that fond of them so I probably won't ever have any. Again, feel free to PM me anytime!

What temp is your tank? GBR's need higher temps than most tropicals can tolerate, low 80's, and in lower temps they can weaken and get sick. Boliians are more hardy than GBRs and can tolerate mid-high 70's temps which is what most tropicals do best at. It might have been your nitrates but it's hard to tell. Also a 30 minute acclimation is pretty quick; I drip acclimate for 1-2 hours.

I'd say it's too early to tell with your gouramis; different types can co-exist but it's risky and often ends badly. Eventually they'll most likely fight.

And yes most types of driftwood can temporarily lower PH. As I said I wouldn't worry about the actual Ph number as long as it's stable.

I'd also add about 6 more neons as they do better in groups. The Opalines may or may not eventually attack them. Remember the Opalines are going to grow to a good size, about 4-5". The two Opalines may eventually fight too; do you know their gender?

Last edited:
Yes they are a male and female. Initially I thought they were two females but as they grow some I see they are male and female. He has been chasing her recently and they even looked like they were wrapping around one another but no bubble nest (I don't want babies) so maybe this is just him messing with her?

My temp stays between 76 & 78 so apparently there were many reasons why my blue ram didn't make it - sad! :(

Back
Top Bottom