help with water help help help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

filterman40

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just got home and my tank water is green. It was like a bluish clear color before I left so does anyone know anything. I can't check the parameters (no test kit) please somone help

Sounds like an algae bloom.

How old is the tank?

Is it cycled?

What is in the tank?

What kind of lighting and how many hours are lights on?

P.S. You really do need a test kit.

LyndaB said:
Sounds like an algae bloom.

How old is the tank?

Is it cycled?

What is in the tank?

What kind of lighting and how many hours are lights on?

P.S. You really do need a test kit.

Tank is a month old and yes it's cycled. Could a dead plant cause this

This is what it looks like and I have 4 6500k cfls and its a 40 g

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110901_153932.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110901_153932.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 54
I hope I don't sound argumentative, because it is not what is intended. But, I'm not sure if you can tell if you're cycled if you can't test for chemicals. I would guess it is a bloom and that you have not completed your cycle. However, that is just a guess without knowing what your levels are.

I would suggest grabbing (at a minimum) some test strips or (better) something like an API Master Kit so you can test your levels in the tank.

You can turn the lights off and perform a partial water change, and then maybe repeat the water change every day until you get cleared up if it's a bloom. But, it would be (somewhat) normal to have an algae bloom as your tank completes cycling and can clear up naturally.

I can't afford one right now but I went to my lfs and they said everything was good

Unless they gave you numbers, you're plum outta luck. Quite often, the lfs uses test strips, not the liquid kits, so the strip says "okay" and that's it. You really need a liquid test kit (about $23 at kensfish.com) and that will ensure accuracy in your readings and could very well save the lives of your fish one day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom