Help with water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corinneb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a Biorb Life 45 (12G) that comes with its own built in filter and pump - this has been running now for 5 weeks.

I am performing PWC 2 times a week and testing with teh API master kit.

My housemates are two neon tetras and a betta fish.

They seem to be doing okay - swimming quickly - eating well (NOT OVER FEEDING - twice three times a week ) No white spots.

However i am struggling to get my ammonia to ZERO, in the whole five weeks it has not tested yellow once, yellow being 0.

A run down as follows, up and running from the 10th march, test kit arrived 22nd so testing from then

22.3 PH 8 / AM 0.25 / TR1TE 10 / TRATE 0
25.3 PH 7.6 / AM 0.25 / TRITE 0.25 / TRATE 10
27.3 AM 0.25 /TRITE 0.25 / TRATE 10
29.3 0.25 /0/ 20-30
2.4 1/0/10
3.4 AM 0.5
4.4 AM 0.25
5.4 0.25/ 0.5 / 20 filter change
6.4 0.5 / 0.5 / 20
9.4 1 / 0.25 / 20
11.4 0.5/0.5/20
15.4 0.5 / 0.25 / 10
17.4 1 / 0.10 / 10

How is it after last nights water change at 20% my ammonia doubles?

Could my test kit be incorrect?

Is 5 weeks enough to see my tank read zero ammonia?

Thanks for any help, im keen to sincrease my housemates but obvioulsy not until ammonia goes to zero.

I am using a water condition each water change.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

have you checked your water for ammonia? its also possible to get false positives.

what i would be doing is 50-75 water changes until the ammonia and nitrite hit zero. with fish cycling it can take a fair amount of time before its done. you seem to be getting there though since you do have nitrites and nitrates its just a matter of time until the bacteria can keep up with the waste.

check the expiration date on your kit as well. I once had a kit that said I had high nitrates. I tried everything to reduce and even spent $250 on a de-nitrater and come to find out my droplets were bad. When I bought a new kit, they went to zero.:popcorn:

good catch eatsomepopcorn that one slipped my mind too.

In response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of
2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate,
Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and
KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt
Level will last for five years. I would not trust these kits after they
have expired.

Thank you all,

My lot numbers are 2009

i'm doing daily pwc sometimes twice a day, ammonia goes up inbetween them, Trites no read zero and trates very low but can bit get ammonia lower than 0.5

I tested this morning before change at 0.5 and was the same after a 30% change!

I'm so frustrated with it, changing gallons of water just to keep it the same, suppse it's better than rising!

Is this normal, could it be anything else? The plants, the water conditioner?

Thanks again all

i would test the water source.... if your water source has trace or even higher amounts of ammonia, then adding that to your tank would drive it up....

also, you could always bring a sample of your water to your LFS and have them test it for you.... i know mine will do it for free, some places charge.

Hi, thank you.

I have tested the source and it is clear, well nice and yellow anyway!

Also my lot numbers are 2009 so am i right in thinking these are in date?

I am doing daily pwc just to keep the ammonia from increasing,

yesterday i did two large water changes and the ammonia was stil at 0.25 afterwards!

GRRRRRR

I've been told that API test kits are good for at least two years. Some tests are good up to five.

Are you making sure to hold the tube against the white part of the card for comparison? That white background is important to differentiate between the subtle color differences.

Do you know anyone with a test kit that they trust? I'd test the water with a different kit to rule that out.

When I tested the tap water the tube is definatley yellow and the aqaurium water so green compared to this, my local fs is happy to test for me he said perhaps I'm over worried but then he did put hid head in hus hands when I told him it's a biorb !

Back
Top Bottom