Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How did you cycle your tank? And do you have an API test kit? What are the parameters? How long have you bad it? And are the platy fry in a bowl? Is it heated or filtered?

The fry are in a goldfish bowl my room keeps it warm it was cycled with snails and those platies I have a kit and have had it for 7 months

Can you test the water? Snails don't really cycle a tank properly, but if the params reed ok then you should be ok. So if you ditched the platys and the bb gobys you could add a school of small fish. Really, the bb gobys are not in the right water, and the platys are what is hogging the stocking

You said you have a kit but have petsmart test? Im confused. Also, the platys aren't bad, just they have large bio loads, and take up alot of the space. As for your tank, why is it only filled that much???

The problem is it doesn't matter if the "fit", it comes down to bioload or ammonia production and that over crowding will cause problems before you see it visually. Fish produce a pheromone that stunts their growth, this normally isn't a problem because it is diluted enough in the water and because we do water changes but if the fish notice they are crowded they produce more of this, it stressed them out and you simply cannot keep up with it. Upside down cats need a bigger tank and several of the fish you've mentioned should be kept in larger numbers. On a different note, IMHO I wouldn't ever put platys, swordtails, or any tetras in a ten gallon, they just need more space and they're all pretty active fish. In reality a ten gallon tank just doesn't have the capacity to really let many species of fish thrive, although there are plenty of fish that would be very suitable to that size of a tank

Can you test the water? Snails don't really cycle a tank properly, but if the params reed ok then you should be ok. So if you ditched the platys and the bb gobys you could add a school of small fish. Really, the bb gobys are not in the right water, and the platys are what is hogging the stocking

Your being aggressive and borderline rude to the OP when they are being perfectly civil. The platy's are fine in the 10g and the problem is the growing size of the Golden Wonder Killi. If the gobes are freshwater and doing well they are fine also.

OP you can leave your tank as is and rehome the Killi as it gets larger or rehome it now and get another platy. Then if you eventually get a larger tank you can actually get other fish you want.

It will help your water conditions, but it won't allow you to add more fish. I am sorry for being rude. I to thought they were freshwater, but many people here talked me into thinking thy are brackish. I didn't mean the platys had to go, I ment that if they did, it would allow room for more fish. As it is fully stocked now

Back
Top Bottom