Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trublekidd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
****************HELP********************

Hey everyone i'm new here. i have got few questions and will appreciate if anyone can break down the answer as some things i may need to purchase. i have got an 3 ft 180L aquarium and its going to be empty tomorrow as i want to get bigger fish.

Q1. how shall i cycle my tank and how long before i put fishes in?
Q2. What may i do to prevent any illness to my fishes ?
Q3. what do i need to purchase except filter,heater and pump?
Q4. save the last to the biggest question what fishes shall i buy to go with a knife fish?

****************HELP********************

Q1. how shall i cycle my tank and how long before i put fishes in?
Q2. What may i do to prevent any illness to my fishes ?
Q3. what do i need to purchase except filter,heater and pump?
Q4. save the last to the biggest question what fishes shall i buy to go with a knife fish?

A1 it all depends on what your water parameters are. If you're using ammonia to cycle your tank then you should see a rise in nitrite, then nitrite will fall and nitrate will rise. When you have a reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and see nitrates that's when you should be able to put in a few fish.

A2 maintaining good water parameters is the best way to prevent illness. Do weekly water changes of 20% to 50% and keep your parameters at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20ppm nitrate.

A3 depends on what you want for your tank. I highly suggest a liquid test kit. Then lights substrate and decorations.

A4 your best bet for a 47 gallon tank is an African brown knife fish. Tankmates really depend on what you would like for your tank as well. Most peaceful community fish would do well with them.

Thank you very much for your answers I am finding a bit difficult with cycling my water. After I cycle do I need to put any Zyme or stress coat/water treatment. What's the avarge tap water test result

Thank you very much for your answers I am finding a bit difficult with cycling my water. After I cycle do I need to put any Zyme or stress coat/water treatment. What's the avarge tap water test result

How are you cycling your tank? Are you checking your water parameters daily? What are they? Putting a filter on a tank and letting it run for a couple days does not cycle anything, if your tap has ammonia in it then you would eventually get the beneficial bacteria to colonize in your filter but it would take a long time. I highly suggest searching the articles in this forum, they will be a whole lot of help to you.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom