Help ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would love to start a marine tank eventually .... I was just woundering what size tank would be needed (smallest please) and what equipment etc .. to keep nemo fish :D (Clown fish i think) Please tell me roughly how much the equipment qwould cost. In "£" please if possible :D

Roughly 30$/gallon is the going rate for saltwater setup. You'll get some HIGHER and some way lower but I think that's a pretty safe place to start. I started with a 120 because I wanted a more stable system to start with though people commonly run with 30-55g tanks. You could keep a pair of Clownfish in a 15 or 20. The anemone that you invariably want to keep will need intense and expensive lighting in order to survive. They also need a system that is stable. Preferably a year old. The clowns can go in after the tank is cycled with raw shrimp and do not need a host anemone, contrary to popular opinion!

you can setup a marine tank for around £600 brand new...with all you need to start off....(rock..sand ..tank(stand) heater.. filter..testers..u will also need to change the lighting on your hood too(although not necessary for startoff)
for a 35gallon....personally i would not go any lower than a 35G

i have just started and with the tank, LS, LR, heaters, powerheads, testkit, hydrometeor, and stand im already sunk in at about $500..However, im sitting here looking at my tank and it is WORTH THE expense! :!: ! :!: ! :!: ! :!: ......i was thinking about starting off with a small tank just as you...but once you read about saltwater tanks.....you will find out that it is more convenient to but a larger tank....I have a 50 gal. oceanic tank w/ stand and my opinion, i wouldnt go any lower than that... you can prolly sneak in a 40 gal. but... this is no hobby to start then drop it is an EXPENSE!! so bofore you make any choices.....READ READ READ and READ!!!!!!! read the posts and Ask a lot of questions.....everyone here on AA are GREAT..and they will help you out all the way!!!

I hope you enjoy your tank and if you have any questions i can help just PM me :)

trust me, i also have a 50 gallon tank, which is bigger then i expected to buy, and i ALREADY WANT A BIIGGER TANK, this is really addicting, the bigger the tank, the more stable, the more room for growth, and the happier you will be, but keep in mind, it is expensive. I would say roughly 1000 bucks to get one up and running.

lol i really want a bigger tank.....i wish i would have spent that extra money in the first place...35gall just aint big enuff for me (

Back
Top Bottom