Here is my jump into reef JBJ nanocube 28 intermediate LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mandarin fish are extremely difficult to feed and usually starve except in maybe a very established tank. Remember in a small tank, you must limit the number of fish you put in there to no more than 5 little ones. And not all at once. Stock fish no more than one per month or two. And good luck with your tank. Looks good. Create caves and holes. You'll do fine.

Was thinking at most 1 fish a month and that mandarin will not be happening till after June. Want to make sure he is happy because they are awesome looking fish.

Time to start paying attention, I had some serious sediment issues with my tank for a while, rinse substrate thoroughly no it is not done yet, so I had been doing pwc and taking media basket out and rinsing sponge, charcoal, and biorings in pwc water. I am hoping it did not kill the bb or slow my cycle, just trying to get rid of sediment.
Heaters in tank and temp is at 80, from 76.
Looking in tank I saw what looks like giant fleas, about centimeter, 3/8", long. Thinking it will be food for fishes in due course.

Capncavey said:
Time to start paying attention, I had some serious sediment issues with my tank for a while, rinse substrate thoroughly no it is not done yet, so I had been doing pwc and taking media basket out and rinsing sponge, charcoal, and biorings in pwc water. I am hoping it did not kill the bb or slow my cycle, just trying to get rid of sediment.
Heaters in tank and temp is at 80, from 76.
Looking in tank I saw what looks like giant fleas, about centimeter, 3/8", long. Thinking it will be food for fishes in due course.

The sand (sediment) is normal and will clear up in a day or a few depending and it wont harm anything so dont worry. 80 is not bad but i like to aim for 78 or 79 if i can. Gives the most room for error both ways incase heater fails but 80 is perfectly fine;)

Lol the fleas your describing sound like copepods/amphipods. Completely normal and they are beneficial, and yes also fish food. They will create a sizable population.

Any recommendations for keeping dsp aerated? Almost 4" deep. Going yellow head jawfish and a shrimp goby. Have area set up on both sides of tank in front.

Getting ready to grab a banded coral shrimp. I have got me some worms, don't think I caught them from cat :)
Can I still get a pair of cleaner shrimp with that guy? 3 descent sized shrimp seem a little much.
Btw was deep sand bed that I was looking for cleaner ideas. I really wanted a jawfish but I think my substrate is to large. 1mm-5mm. :(

Capncavey said:
Getting ready to grab a banded coral shrimp. I have got me some worms, don't think I caught them from cat :)
Can I still get a pair of cleaner shrimp with that guy? 3 descent sized shrimp seem a little much.
Btw was deep sand bed that I was looking for cleaner ideas. I really wanted a jawfish but I think my substrate is to large. 1mm-5mm. :(

I had a coral banded and he killed my yellow watchman. They can get mean when they get big. That's just my experience other people don't have issues. I looked in my tank and he had the yellow watchman by the tail and it was trying to get away. They have big pinchers

image-3769372116.jpg

Here is my drip box. Royal gamma in Del's and mushroom, couple nassarius, and red hermit in Creamery

Capncavey said:
Here is my drip box. Royal gamma in Del's and mushroom, couple nassarius, and red hermit in Creamery

Ahh newport creamery. Now I want an awful awful lol

image-3081270712.jpg

What I started with

image-1310593358.jpg

How it looks now

Going to take out carbon next weekend.
When I put in 'kent' organic adsorption resin I got quite a bit of particles floating in tank, is that ok and normal?
If any part can be improved please help a noob out :). Do I need 2 layers?

Don't know that you need the two layers of floss up top, 1 should be good. Not sure if it was mentioned, but check out the upgraded media baskets at inTank. Best purchase I made for my JBJ! Your tank will thank you! :)

Qube said:
Don't know that you need the two layers of floss up top, 1 should be good. Not sure if it was mentioned, but check out the upgraded media baskets at inTank. Best purchase I made for my JBJ! Your tank will thank you! :)

Yes one is fine and change twice a week

Well good to know about floss, no input about Kent's snow bummer.
I think I am done with my inverts for a bit, got myself scarlet cleaner, banded coral shrimp, 2 blue hermits (wow they are small) 2 red reef hermits, 2 nassarius snails, and 1 Astraea snail.
May have limited myself a bit with coral shrimp...what should I feed him to have him leave future jawfish or goby alone? Will a firefish be ok?

Capncavey said:
Well good to know about floss, no input about Kent's snow bummer.
I think I am done with my inverts for a bit, got myself scarlet cleaner, banded coral shrimp, 2 blue hermits (wow they are small) 2 red reef hermits, 2 nassarius snails, and 1 Astraea snail.
May have limited myself a bit with coral shrimp...what should I feed him to have him leave future jawfish or goby alone? Will a firefish be ok?

They will eat when u feed the tank and find some on there own. Yes a firefish is fine. Becareful with that coral banded they can be mean with that big claw. Mine killed my yellow watchman goby.

image-1679545194.jpg

And this is why you get an Astraea snail. Look at that pearly white where he has been ;)

image-3922274516.jpg

And this is what 3 hours about. Move quicker then I realized

image-2232639355.jpg

Gramma finally making it out and about. Cut up a little clam belly and voila. Now need to keep eye on ammonia for what wasn't eaten:)

Capncavey said:
Gramma finally making it out and about. Cut up a little clam belly and voila. Now need to keep eye on ammonia for what wasn't eaten:)

Good too see

Capncavey said:

Cute, yeah food usually does it! Lol My royal gramma is so weird, hardly ever see it swimming right side up. It swims upside down, hangs around vertically. Probably doesn't help that his hiding space is a vertical cave in one of the rocks, so he's used to being vertical. Lol

Back
Top Bottom