Hexamita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquahungerforce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a flowerhorn, and after about 2 days I noticed she had white stringy material coming out of her anus. She has not eaten for me yet and it has been 6 days. I have been treating her with flagyl and a .3% salt concentration. I am on the 4th day of treatment.

My question is, how long should I wait for her to eat? Should I consider force feeding? She is generally very timid, but has been showing some aggression today and been alot more active, could that mean she is getting better?

I sucessfully treated my fish with HEXAMIT by aquatronics which contained metronidazole. If she is more active, sounds like she is getting better!

It sounds like you're on the right track. Here's the link I was reading:
http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquasource/ipmetro.html
Metronidazole/flagyl (Hex-a-mit, Hex Out are some brands) sounds like what you need in this case.

I wouldn't force feed. I think if she's more active, she'll be eating soon. One time, my betta was lying on the bottom of the tank for 3 days. He couldn't come up to the top for food. I netted him, kept him right under the water surface, and fed him in the net. He did eat, because the food didn't float away from him. But I felt bad about doing that. It probably stressed him. I think it sounds like your fish will be eating soon. Keep trying to offer food, and I bet she'll eat soon!

Thanks guys, I've never had cichlids or had to treat any disease before (keeping fingers crossed!) and was starting to get nervous! SHe took a pellet that had floated down in her mouth, but spit it out :x

I am getting concerned again now because today I have noticed her in almost a flashing type behavior. She floats to her side and sweeps along the bottom of the tank rapidly. Could this be from the hexamita? Or maybe she is getting some side effects of the flagyl, I read that it can cause neurological problems sometimes. I refuse to believe its anything else! 8O
She also has her top fin clamped and I have not seen her open it today at all. I think I will do a larger water change before dosing the flagyl again.

Also, is it normal for cichlids to have their color change during the day? In the daytime her color is very intense and bright, but at night she turns very pale, including her eyes and gills.

is it normal for cichlids to have their color change during the day?
Yes

Flashing could be due to ich--there is an article on FW ich in the Articles section. It is best to treat with heat and salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom