Heya yall, ANOTHER MH question, haha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nyghtone

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, I've been diggin through the history, and I've found answers to almost all my questions, except one, haha.

I've decided to cover my 75 gallon tank with two 250W MH bulbs, I've decided on the icecap ballasts, a bit pricey, but appear to be the best. I've designed, and will be building a hood next week, 10" tall to give me about 8" from the bulbs to the tank, cause I don't wanna use a chiller. Also, my tank depth is about 18", so not extremely deep.

Herein lies my question, I've got the monies, and I'm ready to order, but I'm stuck on the bulbs. It seems that everyone uses some form of actinic to supplement their MH's for extra blue, but I don't wanna, and it seems that the higher the kelvin rating the more blue light you get anyways. My pet store has a display tank that runs three 250W MH on a six foot tank of the same depth, and two actinic vho's. I love this look, but I'm sure their bulbs are 6,500K's cause when I turned of their actinics', shush, dont' tell them, it looked WAY yellow.

Does anybody know if I go with like 12,000 or 13,000K's if I can get that same look without the actinics, I do I have to go with 20,000Ks??? I'd really like to just have the two 250W MH's, and I'm wanna order them next monday, but I can't afford to make many orders to decide, so any advice here would be greatly appriciated :D

Thanks guys, Joshua...

I've got a single 14k 250w MH and I don't plan to add actinic light. To my understanding, a 14k will have some blue actinic light in it. If my corals don't respond well, I'll consider actinic lamps to supplement later.

Back
Top Bottom