Hi guys newbie here cycle question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys so i was getting ready to scrap a bio boost cycle that i have been instructed to complete by my local fish store. I am 2 weeks in and they have given me minimal information just saying "put the aqua care bio boost in for 3 days and then after 7 to 10 days add a few hardy fish."

Well i am now coming towards the end of week 2 and the readings i have taken are confusing me a bit

Hopefully you guys can help me decide what to do here

So i stupidly did not do any tank readings at the very start , but after 1 week i did both strip and liquid tests. ill share the liquids asthey seem more accurate:

1 week today
tank

Tube test
ph 8.2 high ph test
NO3 - 40ppm
No2 - 0.5ppn
Ammonia - 0.5 ppm

June 19th (today) morning

Tank
Ammonia 0- 0.25 was super close yellow slightly green tinge.
No3 -5.0ppm
no2 - 0.25ppm
PH 8

I woke up this morning saying to myself that i would restart a biological boosted cycle this time using a tried and tested combo of products such as Tetra safe start and Seachem Prime, or keeping it all Seachem with stability and prime together.

What would you guys suggest, its less me being impatient more that nobody has used these products before and there is so little information out on the web, even speaking to the shop that sold it to me (Maidenhead Aquatics) i get confused looks when asking how i should proceed. One person told me to redose for a single day after 7 days (which i did) then was told by another that i should just leave it. So im DONE with them there just trying to make a sale and offer no infromation.

So should i see how this cycle goes? Seeing as i have little support going forward or switch to products that are heavily documented on forums and the net in general. Swhich if i face any issues or uncertainties you lovely people have years of experience and could help me out a little.

Also If i do decide tostart the bio bossted cycle with a diff product howmuch of awater change would i be required to perform?
Also would i still need to change my filter once the 1 month/6 weeks has been reached or just rinse it off and start again?\

Thanks in advance :)

Hi KAFish

Is BioBoost the Aquacare BioBoost? Maidenhead aquatics sell that so i presume thats the product you are talking about.

Aquacare BioBoost looks like bacteria in a bottle, similar to Seachem Stability. It doesnt look like yoy have any fish in the tank or been dosing ammonia, so the bacteria you have been putting in will just starve.

Could you confirm whether i have read everything correctly.

Im a little surprised that Maidenhead arent being helpful. They are one of the better fish store chains and have some knowledgeable staff. Could i ask out of interest which one you are going to?

Hi KAFish

Is BioBoost the Aquacare BioBoost? Maidenhead aquatics sell that so i presume thats the product you are talking about.

Aquacare BioBoost looks like bacteria in a bottle, similar to Seachem Stability. It doesnt look like yoy have any fish in the tank or been dosing ammonia, so the bacteria you have been putting in will just starve.

Could you confirm whether i have read everything correctly.

Im a little surprised that Maidenhead arent being helpful. They are one of the better fish store chains and have some knowledgeable staff. Could i ask out of interest which one you are going to?

Hi yes the maidenhead product. My local is Wembley branch.

This was my thoughts but they had said i shouldnt add anything until the water has stabilised which it doesnt seem like it is doing. So this is why id rather go for a better understood product and process

Have a watch at the video that explains the nitrogen cycle. Then have a think about how you want to proceed.

https://youtu.be/qMk_SfR0CuU

The 2 basic methods of cycling are fish in and fishless.

Fish in cycle, you put in a small number of hardy fish and the fish waste will fuel the cycle. You control the toxic waste products with water changes until the cycle is established.

Fishless cycle, you dose with ammonia to fuel the cycle and only add fish when the cycle in established.

In both cases, product like the BioBoost or Seachem Stability will seed the system with beneficial bacteria and speed up the process.

When we know how you want to proceed we can look at getting you started.

Hey Aiken
Thanks for the link.
I have decided to go with a fish in cycle most likely with guppies or platies going to roughly try with 4 or 6 to build up sufficient amount of waste. Todays research has led me to believe i wont necessarily need a biological booster as if i can condition my water with seachem prime (arriving tomorrow). Then adding fish in the following day or so will begin the cycle as they will provide the bacteria. Then i know im reqyired to monitor closely for the ammonia and dose prime/ water change accordingly. For the 2 to 6 week period until the readings settle.

Water conditioner and biological booster do 2 different things.

The water conditioner will remove chlorine from tap water and biological booster will put in the necessary bacteria to consume the ammonia from the fish waste. I would recommend using both.

Seachem Prime is a good water conditioner and also claims to temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrite. But, the detoxifying properties is just a sticking plaster and no substitute for a cycled tank. While you could forgo a biological booster it will significantly lengthen your cycling process if you did.

If you are going for a fish in cycle. Do a big water change to get your ammonia and nitrite as close to 0ppm as you can, add your water conditioner, biological booster if you choose to, add a small number of fish. Test daily. If you see readable ammonia or nitrite do 25% water change (with water conditioner). Eventually you will see daily 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and your nitrates will be rising. That is when your tank is cycled sufficiently for the fish you have and you can add a few more. Rinse and repeat until you are fully stocked.

Water conditioner and biological booster do 2 different things.

The water conditioner will remove chlorine from tap water and biological booster will put in the necessary bacteria to consume the ammonia from the fish waste. I would recommend using both.

Seachem Prime is a good water conditioner and also claims to temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrite. But, the detoxifying properties is just a sticking plaster and no substitute for a cycled tank. While you could forgo a biological booster it will significantly lengthen your cycling process if you did.

If you are going for a fish in cycle. Do a big water change to get your ammonia and nitrite as close to 0ppm as you can, add your water conditioner, biological booster if you choose to, add a small number of fish. Test daily. If you see readable ammonia or nitrite do 25% water change (with water conditioner). Eventually you will see daily 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and your nitrates will be rising. That is when your tank is cycled sufficiently for the fish you have and you can add a few more. Rinse and repeat until you are fully stocked.

Thanks Aiken

The advice ive been receiveing and what ive been reading is that if i go for the non biological bottle option then it will create a more natural occuring cycle, following the typical pattern of up and down, i guess im wanting to learn about the cycle and experience all of this theory ive been reading.

i found this guide really clear and has informed my decision to go without bio bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom