Hi. I am fibsog, and i have never cycled a tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Andy! I've always pondered the effectiveness of a fishless piss-in cycle... That really work??

Does it work? Let me just say that there is little difference between the ammonia or urea from say, a person and ammonia/urea from a fish. Does it work? Without giving too much info, let me just say from personal experience, YES it does. (y) No, it wasn't my tank :brows:

Yes, and if so - any type? I'd worry about poisons in it from the cat or such.

I'd be leery of using cat or dog urine as the food they eat is not all that natural. I wouldn't think twice tho of using urine from, say, grass fed sheep or from any other animal that eats a more natural diet to the animal not a man made concoction.
Here's a suggestion, grab a few friends, have a few beers, have yourself a party. I'll let you imagine the rest ;) :lol: ( Don;t forget the test kit :D)

OMG this thread became hilarious! Thanks for the laugh Andy!!!

What can I say, bathroom humor is always funny. :brows::lol:
But to be serious, there is a lesson in this. I described what was done by people I know ( and parties I attended) in order to cycle some larger aquariums back in the 70s. What can I say? It was cheaper than 1000 damsels and it did work. Yes, it's not the most pleasant way of doing things but we are basically creating a sanitation department in our aquariums. These guys were just adding the stuff to be sanitized. ;)

But on a more informational note, The wet/dry trickle filter was designed using the premises of the human waste water system. Crappy water may go in but good clean water comes out. THERE, I hope I turned this back into an educational thread again (y)

I wonder if that would be better in building up a complete bacteria population ie not just nitrifying bacteria.

We used to buy some sort of special container of bacteria to put in the septic tank each year whereas all the old farmers said just put a dead bird in there, it will do better and it is free.

I wonder if that would be better in building up a complete bacteria population ie not just nitrifying bacteria.

We used to buy some sort of special container of bacteria to put in the septic tank each year whereas all the old farmers said just put a dead bird in there, it will do better and it is free.

I don;t know about better but definitely cheaper. ;)
I think, in the water, it all comes down to Nitrosomas and Nitrobactors. What you added, I believe, was just a way to add more of those to your septic system. The end result should have been the same, clean water that only had nitrates in it. (y)

I don;t know about better but definitely cheaper. ;)
I think, in the water, it all comes down to Nitrosomas and Nitrobactors. What you added, I believe, was just a way to add more of those to your septic system. The end result should have been the same, clean water that only had nitrates in it. (y)

All true. I was thinking of the solid wastes as well (ignoring aerobic vs anaerobic) and thinking that a cycled tank would I guess contain a healthy population of sludge destroying, heterotrophic bacteria. Actually just a thought - I guess these reproduce so quickly that a tank cycled on say pure ammonia doesn't matter (if it did)? The het bacteria would rapidly increase as needed?

No need for science any more just give this method a good hahahaha

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394352149.357670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394352149.357670.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 62
Appologies mr sog! Hey Andy, so that's what you crazy kids were up to in the 70's haha throw in a led zeppelin 8-track and tinkle in a 200 gallon aquarium! That picture Dave? Labyrinth?

Does it work? Let me just say that there is little difference between the ammonia or urea from say, a person and ammonia/urea from a fish. Does it work? Without giving too much info, let me just say from personal experience, YES it does. (y) No, it wasn't my tank :brows:

Let me guess, not a friend either:ROFLMAO:
Please sir, allow me. . .:whistle: aaaaaahhhhhhhh! That's better!

I'll go with fish in and extreme caution, everyday your fish grow and a few months after (when you add that new shoal etc.)

That's fish in cycling!

A cycled tank has the bacteria only to deal with current nitrogenous waste. Ok it handles new additions much faster but the process is identical.

Back
Top Bottom