Hi newbie here ._.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBRlove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my first tank, it has EBR's (2) and 6 phantoms, it's planted and about two months old, the tank is 165L and it is my pride and joy.
I would love some advice an altering ph levels if anyone has any to spare, thanks for looking :)

Attachments

• image-3821174216.jpg
    image-3821174216.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3999174699.jpg
    image-3999174699.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 87
What is the current ph that your water is at? Also, it isn't just PH tha is important- water hardness (GH and KH) is too. Can you get a GH/KH test and test them (and PH) of your water? Normally it isn't necessary or beneficial to mess with PH. Most fish can easily adapt to different hardnesses. You might find that if acclimated correctly, your fish are fine in the unchanged water

Hey thanks for your reply

My water parameters are as of today (2 seconds ago)

Ammonia 0.5
PH 7.6
KH BETWEEN 100 and 180
GL 250
No3 50
No2 0.5

Just about to do a 20L water change with water that has a ph value of 7.6

I do 20L change every other day but I'm worries about my rams told they like water around the 5-6 ph mark??

Hey thanks for your reply

My water parameters are as of today (2 seconds ago)

Ammonia 0.5
PH 7.6
KH BETWEEN 100 and 180
GL 250
No3 50
No2 0.5

Just about to do a 20L water change with water that has a ph value of 7.6

I do 20L change every other day but I'm worries about my rams told they like water around the 5-6 ph mark??
PH really isn't that important. It's the hardness (GH/KH) that you should be more concerned about. Your test kit's results are in PPM, so I converted them into degrees (of general and carbonate hardness) below.

KH: 5.5-10
GH: 15

According to various sources (such as this), your GH is right above the recommended range. I'd say that is close enough. As for the KH, I'd say you're fine too- most of the websites I have looked at recommend a KH of 5-12 (degrees). I wouldn't change a thing about your water... It seems almost perfect to me. I don't think lowering the ph would make much of a difference for them, but if you are really set on it, try putting peat moss (in a mesh bag so it doesn't get every where) inside your filter. Tannins from driftwood can also help lower it.

Hey thanks for your advice, puts my mind at ease defiantly don't want to loose these guys.

Would you agree that 20L water changes every other day would be sufficient for a 165 L tank with eight fish total length maybe 9 inches

Hey thanks for your advice, puts my mind at ease defiantly don't want to loose these guys.

Would you agree that 20L water changes every other day would be sufficient for a 165 L tank with eight fish total length maybe 9 inches

Yes, that is fine, however you probably only need to change about 40 litres, once a week. Most people do 25% weekly water changes. Unless your tank is still cycling (via fish-in cycle), there is no need for daily water changes.

Cool less work for me lol

I think ill do two 20L a week sort of beginning and end of week

The only reason I do 20L is because I managed to blag a water dispenser bottle, which is... Yes you guessed it 20 L lol

I would like to get another bottle and maybe keep some water maturing for a week of two??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom