high nitrAte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90048 read that and you will understand.

Anyways, my nitrate WAS really high. I did a 25% water change and it went down to about 10ppm. It is a new tank, it seems to be cycled because i am seeing nitrate, and then 0nitrite and ammonia.

My question is, should i add my killifsh, or should i wait, is it possible for the tank to still go through the cycle??

Hey Jason,
You could always test the cycle, by dosing some ammonia, taking a reading, then seeing if your ammonia and nitrates drop back at 0 the next day. If they do, then you are cycled.

Regards,

Gary

Newbies who are cycling there first tank do not read this..you have been warned!

in a whispered tone....
cheat...run a used filter pad from one of your other tanks on the new tank... the only tank i have ever "cycled" was my first 10 gallon years ago... i have yet to run into a problem... knock on wood :D

bad advice, maybe..but it has always worked for me

Newbies can resume there reading...

teamgs said:
Hey Jason,
You could always test the cycle, by dosing some ammonia, taking a reading, then seeing if your ammonia and nitrates drop back at 0 the next day. If they do, then you are cycled.

Regards,

Gary

Not really true. My planted tank is cycled and I don't overfeed. I do 20% water changes once every week to week and a half and I still have over 0ppm for nitrate. They seem to stay around 10-15 ppm.

bs6749 said:
teamgs said:
Hey Jason,

Regards,

Gary

Not really true. My planted tank is cycled and I don't overfeed. I do 20% water changes once every week to week and a half and I still have over 0ppm for nitrate. They seem to stay around 10-15 ppm.
i think he ment nitrite not NO3

OK, you could have added the nitrate into the new tank from your established tank's water. Your established tank has been converting ammonia into nitrate for some time, and the nitrate level might have crept up. To solve this riddle, you need to do a nitrate test on your tap water, your established tanks, and your new tank. Yes, your tap water can have nitrate in it. Yes, your established tank could have 60 ppm of nitrate, or even higher. Do all three tests, and you will know.

Since this nitrate was there from the start, only an increase in nitrate above the baseline can be used as an indication that the cycle is over. To speed the cycle, Pack the new tanks filter with as much colonized biomedia from your established tanks as it can hold. Or run the new filter on the established tank for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom