High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude3233

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had my tank up for like a year and a half and just recently the nitrates went up to like 60pm I have no Idea what happend the only thing that changed is more driftwood a one more USB tank is 55 gallons good filtration not overstocked other parameters and I am using the API master kit... Help me!!!

Nitrates can build up in dirty filters, especially canister filters, the substrate, dead livestock and plants, and not enough WC's. Is the tank planted? If not do you vacuum your gravel? Do you do weekly WC's and if so how much do you change out?

An I do vaccine my gravel it will be planted in like a month... Should I change the filter cartridges

Give them a good rinse and start doing weekly 50% WC's. But in the mean time the only way to lower nitrates is by doing WC's. Do a 50% wait a couple hours and do another 50% wait a couple hours and test to see where they are. If needed do another 50% WC or do WC's the next day. Eventually they will go down unless your tank is overstocked or has large messy fish like goldfish.

Ok no messy fish and not overstocked thx for the help any idea why it happened I did miss one pwc but did one like 3 days later

Back
Top Bottom