High nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do a 5x dose in the AM and wait till the PM (or vis versa) to see what your tests show. You're getting ahead of yourself till you actually do it lol. 5x dosing shouldn't be done more than once every 3 days from what I found in my research. If you still see ammo or no2 do a 2x dose at the 12hr mark.

Mr. Limpet said:
Do a 5x dose in the AM and wait till the PM (or vis versa) to see what your tests show. You're getting ahead of yourself till you actually do it lol. 5x dosing shouldn't be done more than once every 3 days from what I found in my research. If you still see ammo or no2 do a 2x dose at the 12hr mark.

Sounds good thanks

The salt will help, but won't cure any ammo or no2 poisoning, which is what you need to focus on IMO.

Did you even read what I posted? Salt reduces nitrite toxicity more effectively than prime does. The point is keeping the toxicity level as low as possible until the bacteria begin to consume the toxins in a timely manner.

Both can be used in tandem, but I would put my trust in salt over prime since it doesn't dissipate and there is actual scientific data showing how and why it works.

jetajockey said:
Did you even read what I posted? Salt reduces nitrite toxicity more effectively than prime does. The point is keeping the toxicity level as low as possible until the bacteria begin to consume the toxins in a timely manner.

Both can be used in tandem, but I would put my trust in salt over prime since it doesn't dissipate and there is actual scientific data showing how and why it works.

Can you share the scientific data? I'm interested in the lerning.

Can you share the scientific data? I'm interested in the lerning.

I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd share a publication by the University of Colorado specifically addressing the issue at hand.
http://cires.colorado.edu/limnology/pubs/pdfs/Pub079.pdf

It's my observation that the effects of salt on nitrite toxicity is unchallenged by the serious aquarist community. Here is an excellent article by Matt Clarke on the use of salt in the aquarium. I strongly urge anyone who has any questions on the subject to read the article.

At the risk of sounding combative, I'll note this because OP and readers should understand it. As well meaning as Mr. Limpets comment on salts effects on nitrite toxicity was, in this case it simply wasn't rooted in fact.

Ok I couldn't find prime but got the nutrafin equivalent but before I dosed I tested and showed almost no trites yeah! So I did one dose anyways and added some salt I will test again later before I do another pwc

Ok I couldn't find prime but got the nutrafin equivalent but before I dosed I tested and showed almost no trites yeah! So I did one dose anyways and added some salt I will test again later before I do another pwc

Good to hear (y). Yep keep testing daily and be ready for a big PWC if you see any, but I'd suspect you're over the hump.

Yeah I hope so I think the high trites hurt my fish a bit a couple with white on them but I have seen this before with new tanks will clear with daily water changes and great Perameters which I now have and I will be testing regularly for the next while

ryan-peddle said:
Yeah I hope so I think the high trites hurt my fish a bit a couple with white on them but I have seen this before with new tanks will clear with daily water changes and great Perameters which I now have and I will be testing regularly for the next while

Glad to hear things are pretty much back to normal :). Being pale is hopefully just due to them being in the new environment. I don't think things climbed high enough or lasted long enough to do any damage. Good job staying on top of the situation and getting it under control :)

Last edited:
ryan-peddle said:
tank thus far untill i find some good driftwood and take out other decorations but i will wait a while till things fully stabilize

Looks good :). Looks like you've got a four-legged pet too judging from the Kong. Is that your GBR in your new avatar?

roundar said:
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd share a publication by the University of Colorado specifically addressing the issue at hand.
http://cires.colorado.edu/limnology/pubs/pdfs/Pub079.pdf

It's my observation that the effects of salt on nitrite toxicity is unchallenged by the serious aquarist community. Here is an excellent article by Matt Clarke on the use of salt in the aquarium. I strongly urge anyone who has any questions on the subject to read the article.

At the risk of sounding combative, I'll note this because OP and readers should understand it. As well meaning as Mr. Limpets comment on salts effects on nitrite toxicity was, in this case it simply wasn't rooted in fact.

Thanks man, I like science and this is interesting

Back
Top Bottom