High pH stocking advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all.

So after having settled my Bolivian Rams and soon moving my guppies to a seperate tank I am now trying to decide on some more fish for my main tank. The only occupants will be my 2 Bolivians Rams. I really need some ditherers but my pH is at 8.2 and I know I have hard water (aparrently 277ppm from the tap...but haven't managed to get an API test for this). Does anyone have a potential stocking list of ditherer fish that a ph of 8.2 would suit or can adapt to? I was thinking of getting some neon or cradinal tetra but I know their prefered pH is much lower than this and that the hardness of my water will be a potential problem. I would rather stay clear of live bearers.

Ideally I would like a school of ditherers and maybe one more centre piece fish. Would a betta be a bad idea with Bolivian rams? pH a problem for honey gourami?

Any advice or experiences of keeping fish at pH 8.2 would be great.

Cheers all :)

matty2085 said:
Hey all.

So after having settled my Bolivian Rams and soon moving my guppies to a seperate tank I am now trying to decide on some more fish for my main tank. The only occupants will be my 2 Bolivians Rams. I really need some ditherers but my pH is at 8.2 and I know I have hard water (aparrently 277ppm from the tap...but haven't managed to get an API test for this). Does anyone have a potential stocking list of ditherer fish that a ph of 8.2 would suit or can adapt to? I was thinking of getting some neon or cradinal tetra but I know their prefered pH is much lower than this and that the hardness of my water will be a potential problem. I would rather stay clear of live bearers.

Ideally I would like a school of ditherers and maybe one more centre piece fish. Would a betta be a bad idea with Bolivian rams? pH a problem for honey gourami?

Any advice or experiences of keeping fish at pH 8.2 would be great.

Cheers all :)

My tank is 8.2 with a hardness of about 19 degree sometimes a little less (I believe a little above 280 in ppm).

I have mollies, guppies, neon terra, and a clown pleco.

Previously I have had sword tails, a sailfin pleco, and angels (although I have to be honest, the angels didn't do well)

Ask your LFS what their levels are, truth is its more important to keep levels stable than to match what they "like". Most LFS will not treat water for PH levels, and will use one water source for all the stock, so naturally, the fish you buy from them will all be used to one PH.

Neons like a ph about 7.2 I think. My water went mental last month and dropped to about 7.4 and I lost 3 neons and a guppy.

Still ask questions, but the most important sometimes is your LFS water levels.

My ph tests at 8.2 out of the tap as well and my water also tests at a similar hardness too. I've kept honey gouramis fine (quite hardy fish) and mollies no problem, and in the past few months I've added lots of driftwood and my ph has dropped to about 7.5ish. Most fish should be ok around that as long as your lfs has them at a similar level. I've recently had success with the addition of six rummy nose tetras (no deaths--yay!) and my lfs said they had been keeping them at a ph of 7.8.

Great. Thanks for that. I did have some mopani wood in this aquarium although removed it as the white fungus that was growing on it was so unsightly...its now been moved to bukets outside to run its course. I am trying a few neons from my LFS who have similar water to me so fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom