hippo tang sleeping???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackthunda77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i bought a hippo tang yesterday and acclimated him and the let him go in my sump and he laid on his side for a while till i turned the lights on then slowly he started moving around and exploring . by the end of the night he was doing really well. this moorning i woke up and thought he was dead. he was on his side not moving. upon closer inspection he was breathing through his gills and not gulping with his mouth so i thin hes breathing ok. but even know 2 hrs later withthe lights on hes still not swimming jutst laying on his side, sometimes scoots round on his side buut not much movemetn. i know hippos do this but i didnt think it was to think extent. is he ok?? he look really healthy.beautiful colors.

IME, this is not normal behavior and could be a sign that something is off. What are your water parameters?

they love to squeeze into small small crevices, i assume the sump dosen't have a lot of hidding spots sp he's probably trying to feel comfortable by being close to the ground, if you have some kind of decoration he can hide behind he would be more likly to be verticle and hide behind that otherwise i would say thats normal

When my lights go off at night, my regal goes to the same spot and lays on his side and also looks like he is dead...once you get him into the tank, he will find his sleeping place and will resume laying on his side more than likely...

well in the sump he did lay under a pice of live rock in there. now i droped him in the main tank cuz i felt maybe he didnt like not having and places to hide. when i put him in he swam around a bit, didnt look sick but then as soon as he saw the rockwork under him he sunk down between the rocks and the glass, poked his head out a dew times, now i havent seen him since, hope hes ok, just shy.

Back
Top Bottom