Hitchhiker crab destroying snail population!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone
Recently I have been noticing a decline in my snail population. I would look in my tank in the morning and there would just be empty snail shells on the sand. I thought maybe they were just dying of old age but I was wrong. I've had this black hitchhiker crab (he is huge) in my tank for a very long time. I saw him today eating one of my snails out of the shell. I then looked into his little cave area and he has a collection of snail shells from the snails he has killed. How do I catch him?! He needs to leave now

That or you can put some meaty food in a glass that is tilted sideways. They can get in but can't get the traction to get out!

I would just make a trap out of a small water bottle. It will be able to get in but won't be able to get out.

All good ideas thanks. I will have to try them out. I will try to get a pic but it is hard. He is always hiding in the crevaces of the live rock where it is dark so pictures don't turn out well. But I'll try

This is the best I could get on the iPhone. Can't really see him but you can see one of the snails that has fell victim to him

Attachments

• image-2930317848.jpg
    image-2930317848.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 186
Maybe put the top you cut off in that piece to make a funnel type. That would keep him from crawling out

If I put the top back on he wouldnt be able to fit in there. He is too big. And no all I have is formula one marine pellet and mysis shrimp. Would that work?

Attempt #1 was a fail. All the bait was gone with no crab in sight. Im thinking i had the bottle not tilted enough. will give it another go tonight

It probably used those little ridges to climb out, use something glass.

Back
Top Bottom