Hith?? :((((

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pristine water conditions and a quality diet are the two most important aspects of keeping oscars. Keep the nitrates below 10ppm and feed a premium staple of pellets.

Wardley is pretty low end of the quality scale, but Omega One is good so that's what I would feed as a staple out of the two. Some fish can tolerate higher nitrate levels of 30-40ppm but oscars are not one of them, get a test kit and keep those levels low with weekly or even multiple weekly water changes if need be.

In oscars it is more accurately called head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). HITH is more specific to discus and angels (in which case it is parasitic, unlike with oscars).

Agreed, the two main causes are low quality food and water. Wardley is definitely not what I would feed. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. Feed a high quality pellet and keep the water quality as described and it will have the best chances.

How large is the oscar?
How long have you had it?
What is your water change schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration of your tap water? Your tank water?

Fishguy2727 said:
In oscars it is more accurately called head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). HITH is more specific to discus and angels (in which case it is parasitic, unlike with oscars).

Agreed, the two main causes are low quality food and water. Wardley is definitely not what I would feed. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. Feed a high quality pellet and keep the water quality as described and it will have the best chances.

How large is the oscar?
How long have you had it?
What is your water change schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration of your tap water? Your tank water?

1) my Oscar is about 3.5 in or so.
2) since June 22nd this year.
3) 5 gallons every week.
4) I have no idea as I don't have a test kit.

If you only have one test kit it should be for nitrate. Buy one, the API one is fine, just read and follow the directions carefully.

You probably need to do larger water changes. I am guessing you don't have a water changer that hooks up to your sink, get one. Lee's makes one that is great, I use it for my business and home tanks.

What size tank is this?

Get him on a better food asap. Don't wait until you run out of what you have, toss it and buy the good stuff.

If you only have one test kit it should be for nitrate. Buy one, the API one is fine, just read and follow the directions carefully.

You probably need to do larger water changes. I am guessing you don't have a water changer that hooks up to your sink, get one. Lee's makes one that is great, I use it for my business and home tanks.

What size tank is this?

Get him on a better food asap. Don't wait until you run out of what you have, toss it and buy the good stuff.

This is a 55 gallon tank. I am going to feed the omega one pellets but he is still a tad small for them. I have omega one cichlid flakes is this a good alternative? i do not have a water changer i just siphon and replace with hose water.

Buy a water changer. Get it online for cheap if you need to. It makes a huge difference in doing water changes. You should be doing at least 15 gallons each water change, larger as he gets bigger.

Is he alone?

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. IME it is better than anything else out there, including Omega One. The Omega One is definitely a huge leap ahead of the Wardley though. The pellets should be fine. Flakes are messier and don't fill them up well.

Buy a water changer. Get it online for cheap if you need to. It makes a huge difference in doing water changes. You should be doing at least 15 gallons each water change, larger as he gets bigger.

Is he alone?

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. IME it is better than anything else out there, including Omega One. The Omega One is definitely a huge leap ahead of the Wardley though. The pellets should be fine. Flakes are messier and don't fill them up well.

he is in the tank with a GT. So for a water changer you just hook it up to a sink and it drains water and fills or what?

Yes, it has a valve usually and you flip it one way to empty, one way to fill. Turning the tap on makes it flow (either way).

I do 50% water changes on all my tanks every week. I drain 50%, fill immediately with water which is approximately the same temp (I do it by feel). I then add a large dose of water conditioner right to the tank.

I would add dechlorinator after draining, before filling. This way the water is dechlorinated as it fills.

Ditto. In oscars it is HLLE, not HITH. That means it is not treatable with meds. High quality food and water will prevent and treat it, that's it. Agreed that NLS is the best food.

Sorry to high jack this thread but I can't seem to find the water changers u's are talking about could someone maybe pm me a link :)))))

Back
Top Bottom